Hiking in hunting season

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
mrchad9

Re: Hiking in hunting season

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:I generally hike on Sundays and you can't hunt on Sunday here in VA.

Really? Why is that? Some failed church/state separation?

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:43 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:I generally hike on Sundays and you can't hunt on Sunday here in VA.

Don't the enforcement guys deserve a day off?

Mountainjeff

by Mountainjeff » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:50 pm

A couple years back a lady was killed on a popular trail in the N. Cascades by a teenage hunter. It was a case of an inexperienced hunter shooting at whatever slightly deer colored thing moved. It was a pretty isolated case and usually it is hunters shooting each other, not hikers.

I will hike, but not bushwhack during deer season, except for SAR related activities, but it is usually only the dogs that get shot at (and I think those shots are not accidental...)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 pm

So what happened to this assassin in N. Cascades?

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:00 pm

Fletch wrote:
Arthur Digbee wrote:I also stay away from pheasant areas because pheasant hunting rewards quick triggers.

Most pheasant these days are planted on private land/clubs. If you get shot by a pheasant hunter, you are most likely tresspassing. Shot guns don't really hurt anyway - I have a bb stuck in my ear to this day. :) Deer hunters, thats another story!

We have a state park nearby that's pheasant hunting on one side of the road, hiking and camping on the other. My dog and I will flush pheasants on the trails, of course.
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:06 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:

Don't the enforcement guys deserve a day off?

What's the need to enforce laws during the week if it is already legal to hunt? Shouldn't the enforcement guys be busting scofflaws hunting on Sundays? Or are you really saying that enforcement gets 6 days off a week?

Hmmmm? :)

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:38 pm

I got shot at once. It does make you reconsider hiking. Also made me think about carrying an M60.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:44 pm

Good point Dave K.

I was also wondering if VA had considered making murders and speeding illegal on Sunday, so detectives and cops could get more time off.

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:46 pm

I'm starting to think I should buy an abandon missle silo and build a self sustaining compound in it. I'll be safe from crazy hunter/serial killers and also be ready for 2012. I like to get some bang for my bucks.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:22 pm

Dave K wrote:What's the need to enforce laws during the week if it is already legal to hunt? Shouldn't the enforcement guys be busting scofflaws hunting on Sundays? Or are you really saying that enforcement gets 6 days off a week?

Hmmmm? :)

Probably don't get that many licensed hunters breaking the law and hunting on Sundays. Most of the illegal hunting is done by poachers at night and often out of season.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:24 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Good point Dave K.

I was also wondering if VA had considered making murders and speeding illegal on Sunday, so detectives and cops could get more time off.

Aren't you the smart ass?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:01 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:Good point Dave K.

Aren't you the smart ass?

Buz- I just have a really hard time believing that is the actual reason. Are you certain that it is?

If so, then I know when I can go and skip on the hunting license.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:27 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:I'm signing my 14 year old up for a membership in the MLC SC so I can have here take a few people out.

So, you're saying an 'INSIDE JOB' would put hikers at ease during hunting season?

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:44 pm

1000Pks wrote:
Fletch wrote:
1000Pks wrote:the morons shoot anywhere and at any way. Most of them are anxious to fire off their weapons, very few actually bag any deer or what.

Obviously, you're not a hunter... :roll:

1000Pks wrote:Therefore you have to watch out, esp. if you have enviro club seeking to kill you, it'd be legal murder if they can catch you hiking. Juries can't tell if you were just unfortunate or actually and intentionally shot. Why you never say where and when you'll be hiking, it gives it away how to get rid of you!

What are you talking about???

No, everyone, including other hunters, are effectively fair game when it's deer season. You are at your own risk. Clever killers may take full advantage, just the way they are. I'm a target for their death threats, and they have sworn to get me. Quite lethal weapons in their ownership, and they don't need any reason to put you at risk or a knife in your head.

There's people right here, that would probably pull a trigger if they knew there'd be no legal consequences. The way of the Law, sadly.

Since I'm unable to discern a rational or cogent point from your statements, perhaps you could explain what you mean by 'the way of the Law'.

PreviousNext

Return to General