Hiking in hunting season

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

Re: Hiking in hunting season

by Tanngrisnir3 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:15 am

1000Pks wrote:
Since I'm unable to discern a rational or cogent point from your statements, perhaps you could explain what you mean by 'the way of the Law'.

Too bad.

For the rest of any aware people, which it seems a waste of time, in my own case, people are outright bigoted. For 40%, it's an automatic NO on anything that is for us, discrimination by them. 80% say there is nothing of the sort--the race hate, bigotry, and prejudice.

For the local enviro club, even, saving the planet, world peace, prosperity for all, the vote would still be NO. They'll have world war, economic collapse, destruction of the environment, all to keep it white.

Doubters, see them, hear them, and know them. And let the attacks restart!

Is your blender teaching Klingon to your children? Then take down every 3rd number, because bees are immune to dynamite!

Mountainjeff

by Mountainjeff » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:22 am

mrchad9 wrote:So what happened to this assassin in N. Cascades?

Did some jail time, lost his license, not to mention a lot of emotional trauma. He was only 15 or 16 at the time.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:26 am

Mountainjeff wrote:

Did some jail time, lost his license, not to mention a lot of emotional trauma. He was only 15 or 16 at the time.

Unfortunate.

Hell, a guy shot a bear near June Lake not too long ago. As I remember even for that he lost the ability to carry a firearm (for maybe life) a fine, and a "small" amount of jail time (I'm thinking it was 30-60 days, but that would be far more than I'd want). So not inconsequential considering the differences (charges were something like, discharging a firearm within an incorporated area, within 200 ft of a road, and killing a bear without a permit).

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:59 am

I seriously don't understand what all the gaffaw is all about. :?:
It's hunting season...plain and simple. If you still hike, camp or climb, wear appropriate clothing!
Go to JAX, Cabella's, Sportsman Warehouse etc. and buy something instead of wining about it on the internet.

I picked up a hat for $5.00 last Thursday. Had a great time and talked to some hunters back at the TH who were finished scouting for the day.
Whether you're on the trail or bushwhacking, wear bright colours. There's just as many naive & 'twitchy' hunters as there are inexperienced and reckless climbers.

Last edited by Kiefer on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:03 am

Mountainjeff wrote:

Really? My recollection was that the kid walked. I believe that was based on early statements from the DA's about whether they were going to prosecute.

Still, the kid went hunting on a foggy day near a hiking trail. Kind of a slap on the wrist considering his victim died. Not saying they should have nailed him to the wall. Just kind of a no win situation.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:03 am

OK- a hunting question. Hunters wear those orange caps. I get why they wear them- to avoid getting shot. But can't the wildlife see them? And if they cannot, then shouldn't they dress ENTIRELY in orange?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:06 am

fatdad wrote:
Mountainjeff wrote:

Really? My recollection was that the kid walked. I believe that was based on early statements from the DA's about whether they were going to prosecute.

Still, the kid went hunting on a foggy day near a hiking trail. Kind of a slap on the wrist considering his victim died. Not saying they should have nailed him to the wall. Just kind of a no win situation.

Yes- It is a no win situation. But hunters need to be responsible for their actions. If I was in the state legislature I would vote for a law that treated all hunters as adults. I mean, if a 15 or 16 cannot handle that, then he has no business heading out in the woods with a gun. PERIOD.

Of course if there was much hunting in my district I would not get reelected, but I'd still vote for it.

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:16 am

mrchad9 wrote:OK- a hunting question. Hunters wear those orange caps. I get why they wear them- to avoid getting shot. But can't the wildlife see them? And if they cannot, then shouldn't they dress ENTIRELY in orange?

Deer are color blind.

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:18 am

1000Pks wrote:That poor lady shot in her own backyard wasn't wearing earth colors or anything that looked like a deer. Hunters go out in camo maybe not for deer to not see them, but for other hunters! No sense letting kill crazy people know exactly where you are!

A horse and a Rabbi walk into this bar.

They go up to the bartender and the Rabbi gets a beer. The horse asks for a tropical drink with pineapple juice and rum, but specifically asks the bartender not to put an umbrella in it.

After a few minutes a dwarf walks in, dressed in a shirt that shows some playing cards. At the bar, he turns to the horse and says, "Hey, what's that you're drinking?"

Just then, the whole fucking building explodes.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:37 am

Tanngrisnir3 wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:OK- a hunting question. Hunters wear those orange caps. I get why they wear them- to avoid getting shot. But can't the wildlife see them? And if they cannot, then shouldn't they dress ENTIRELY in orange?

Deer are color blind.

Yes. I've heard that. So why not dress entirely in orange. Or always wear that orange camo pattern?

Mountainjeff

by Mountainjeff » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:41 am

fatdad wrote:
Mountainjeff wrote:

I could have been wrong about the jail time. I didn't pay too much attention to how it all ended.

It is just one of those issues that has no clear answer. He was hunting legally at the time, but obviously was not at all aware of his surroundings.

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:21 am

mrchad9 wrote:
Tanngrisnir3 wrote:

Deer are color blind.

Yes. I've heard that. So why not dress entirely in orange. Or always wear that orange camo pattern?

I have no idea. There are even hunter orange camo patterns.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:02 am

3 MONTHS!!!

That's pathetic. I feel sorry for the victim and her family.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:04 am

If you wear orange socks and orange underwear, them deer will get a good "whiff" if you're within 200 yards, and you might go home empty-handed and have to buy tuna at Safeway !!!

At least, that's what my pa always said..

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

drpw

by drpw » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:10 am

every piece of outerwear i buy is as bright of a color as i can get it. not just for hunting season, but if something happens to me, i want to be seen from miles.

PreviousNext

Return to General