Homemade Dragonfly or Whisperlite baseplate

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
e-doc

Homemade Dragonfly or Whisperlite baseplate

by e-doc » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:32 pm

Anybody have suggestions on building a baseplate? I have a few ideas myself with the aluminum heat shield and closed cell foam?

ExcitableBoy

Re: Homemade Dragonfly or Whisperlite baseplate

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:12 pm

The old standby is a license plate. I hate carrying extra weight so I use the shovel blade. In the Ruth Gorge we buried an empty gallon gas with the broad side flush with the snow and used that as a stove base. I've also seen and used a picket placed horizontally in the snow with the wide, flat part flush for an XGK base.

RickF

by RickF » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:53 pm

I've used the shovel blade too. It works well but it ties up the shovel which is the best thing to use to harvest snow to melt. I made one out of some thin aluminum diamond plate. just big enough to be a footprint for the diameter of my stove heat sheild and the fuel bottle. It works well but it weighs about a 1/3 of a pound.

My friend has one that he bought about 10 years ago, I think he got it at REI. It's lexan or plexiglas plastic and it has attachments that hold the stove in place. I've searched but I don't see anything like it for sale anywhere.

no avatar
coldfoot

by coldfoot » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:46 pm

RickF wrote:My friend has one that he bought about 10 years ago, I think he got it at REI. It's lexan or plexiglas plastic and it has attachments that hold the stove in place. I've searched but I don't see anything like it for sale anywhere.

Probably the UCO Mightylite stove stand.

Return to Gear