Honnold on 60 minutes

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Vitaliy M.

Honnold on 60 minutes

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:58 am

Tonight '60 minutes' showed an episode about Alex Honnold soloing in Yosemite. He is an amazing athlete and seems like a great guy, but does anyone else think it might not be a great idea to show free soloing on TV?

Kristin5berry

Re: Honnold on 60 minutes

by Kristin5berry » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:10 am

My intial reaction to this broadcast was thrilled as I feel that this kid doesnt get enough press (outside of the climbing community) for his amazing talents. I remember reading about him several years ago and thinking "why havent I heard of him before?" Also, anyone who has half of a brain can see from the footage, listen to the interview and likely come to the conclusion that it is about as dangerous as it gets.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:13 am

I watched as well, but do you think that random climbers would try anything like that? Just because they saw that on tv? ...... The kid hasn't made any money off what he's doing but he might now.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:21 am

Old News!

That is what they ALL said about old Henry Barber some 30 years ago when they did a feature on him free soloing in England on Wide World of Sports. Pretty much had and still has the exact same demeanor and philosophy as Alex displayed tonight. Thing about Henry, he did some shit no one will ever know about except him. On both Ice and Rock all over this planet.

He is still one of my long time heroes.

Largo was funnier than hell. What a total spooofer for the camera.
Last edited by The Chief on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:28 am

Marmaduke wrote:The kid hasn't made any money off what he's doing but he might now.

Wtf are you talking about? Of course I don't know what he gets paid, but it is obvious to any climber that he is one of the most sponsored names in the climbing world today. He has been pushing it in the last few years. If he lives out of his car (for easy travel) doesn't mean he has not made money!

IMO soloing is a personal thing. Should not be shown publicly as much. A LOT of people do look up to him. Although if someone does get hurt attempting to be Honnold it is their own fault. Own fear is the best defense mechanism from getting hurt.
Hope he is healthy and wish him only luck and success. But want to see what others think about soloing on TV...

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:38 am

JB also did a feature on Wide World of Sports some 25 or so years ago.

Free Solo'd Crack-A-Go-Go in the Ditch on live Sat afternoon tv.

I totally remember that one. What a hoooot!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oIeK0YtclU[/youtube]

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:44 am

Vitaliy M. wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:The kid hasn't made any money off what he's doing but he might now.

Wtf are you talking about? Of course I don't know what he gets paid, but it is obvious to any climber that he is one of the most sponsored names in the climbing world today. He has been pushing it in the last few years. If he lives out of his car (for easy travel) doesn't mean he has not made money!

IMO soloing is a personal thing. Should not be shown publicly as much. A LOT of people do look up to him. Although if someone does get hurt attempting to be Honnold it is their own fault. Own fear is the best defense mechanism from getting hurt.
Hope he is healthy and wish him only luck and success. But want to see what others think about soloing on TV...

Maybe I should learn Russian??? ...................I didn't say YOU knew what he was making but the segment inferred he wasn't making money off his climbing. Did you miss that?

And "it's a personal thing, should not be shown publicly" "? He made the choice to be on 60 minutes, his choice. There are many dangerous sports that are on tv all the time, it sells advertising and the networks eat it up and this kid made the choice to be on TV, no biggie. Youtube is as big as tv and you can find that same stuff all over youtube

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:57 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zyZvEBuw_4[/youtube]

I think this is purely amazing too. This is probably one route I really want to be able to lead one day...not sure how possible it is..probably not very, but I can dream...

segment inferred he wasn't making money off his climbing.

I think segment is BSing regarding that. Although climbers usually do not make much from sponsors, top ones like Honnold get enough.

By the way I think this is better than what they showed on 60 mins...old but great.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt8yZCXNJFE[/youtube]

etai101

by etai101 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:38 am

http://daveheal.com/sports/alex-honnold ... -the-wall/
this is the best video i have ever seen of free soloing by alex honold (hands sweating right through to the end).
the "freak out" in min 20 shows how crazy this sport acctually is even for experianced climbers like honold.
enjoy

SJ

by SJ » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:55 pm

I have a hard time even watching these guys in person. Too ballsy for me.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:28 pm

etai101 wrote:http://daveheal.com/sports/alex-honnold-free-solos-half-dome-in-alone-on-the-wall/
this is the best video i have ever seen of free soloing by alex honold (hands sweating right through to the end).
the "freak out" in min 20 shows how crazy this sport acctually is even for experianced climbers like honold.
enjoy

Can't watch it from work, but can't wait to get home. He is quite a climber. Such grace, endurance, technique and power..amazing.

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:17 pm

I enjoyed the piece for what it was and, from my memory of watching the Barber and Bachar T.V. episodes years ago, it seemed better produced. My wife cringed during it and moaned about his poor parents. My 12 year-old thought it was scary and he would never do that. My 9 year-old...thought it was cool and no big deal. Gonna have to watch that kid close next time we go out.

They noted that Honnold makes about 12K a year---interesting. I would have thought more, but I guess if you free-solo everything, why would rope companies and climbing gear/pro companies want to sponsor you?

(and thanks for posting the vids, Chief and Vitaliy...makes my work-from-home day better.) :P

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Dave Dinnell wrote:They noted that Honnold makes about 12K a year---interesting. I would have thought more, but I guess if you free-solo everything, why would rope companies and climbing gear/pro companies want to sponsor you?

He does not free solo everything. He does a lot of different kinds of climbing. He does alpine climbs, he does roped trad climbs, does speed ascents (remember when him and Ueli Steck attempted to beat the record on the Nose?).

I am no expert on how his sponsorships work but as far as I know climbers get paid the most for being in different commercials. And also companies pay them for using their name as official sponsored athlete. Obviously all the equipment (1000s of $) is supplied to them for free. Also, any big trips out of States and in States are sponsored (paid for food, tickets, lodging etc). From watching the segment I remember they mention that he is able to live in his van for about 1K (12K a year) a month, but did not say anything about what he actually makes. I would think he is able to make a lot more for being in all the commercials.

Rob

by Rob » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:25 am

He should get hooked up with Red Bull...he could do some crazy commercials for them and be rich.

Romain

by Romain » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:56 am

Next

Return to California