Hoodies? Do folks like them?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Kai

Hoodies? Do folks like them?

by Kai » Tue May 25, 2010 9:58 pm

I've seen some lightweight fleece hoodies on sale, targeted at alpine climbers.

(Patagonia hooded R1, for example.)

I've not ever used any hooded garments other than outerwear.

Do folks here use/like these lightweight fleece hoodies? If so, why are they better than a regular pull-over coupled with a hat?

MScholes

by MScholes » Tue May 25, 2010 10:46 pm

You'll quickly get a slew of replys explaining how awesome the patagonia r1 hoody is. The praise is very justified as it's an amazing peice of clothing, even if you don't have the hood up all the time. Considering how much potential use you can get out of it, the price certainly doesn't seem too bad.

To be honest, besides the casual sweatshirt that I wear to lounge around etc in the house, and the r1, I don't have that many hoodies.... I just never thought of it really, but I do have a burly head of hair keepin me warm.

bird

by bird » Tue May 25, 2010 11:18 pm

MScholes wrote:You'll quickly get a slew of replys explaining how awesome the patagonia r1 hoody is.

Here's one! :D

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Tue May 25, 2010 11:28 pm

Here's a second. :D

MRoyer4

by MRoyer4 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:37 pm

third.

Blair

by Blair » Wed May 26, 2010 12:02 am

I am only posting cuz my lucky number is 4 8)

I love my R1 hoody, its in the pack for this weekend!

drpw

by drpw » Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 am

Firstly, I'll never buy a jacket without a hood again. You pull the hood up and it gets 500x warmer. Don't have the sheckles for an R1 hoody but this NF one I got for x-mas is a wintertime staple for me. I'm about to buy another one in brown for summertime fly fishing.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... _311085490

rlshattuck

by rlshattuck » Wed May 26, 2010 12:20 am

I love being able to zip it up at night and keep my neck warm, not to mention keep the bugs off, when I am crashed under the stars.

The R1 is great at retaining, creating, body warmth, when paired with, say, a down jacket. it's almost too warm––certainly for just wearing around town––my other favorite is the MAMMUT OUTLINE . . .

http://www.climbhighoutlet.com/mammut-o ... ll-mens-15

To me anyway, you put on the R1 and it's like, on you, clingy (and warm as hell) whereas the Mammut is a little more relaxed. Did I mention cheaper

tfcfool

by tfcfool » Wed May 26, 2010 1:26 am

The way I remember a friend discussing it was that a hood "gives you a bigger temperature window" (or something like that). Pretty much that without a whole extra piece of clothing, a hood allows you to have a much greater temperature range. I thought it was a good way of describing it, though my words don't do it justice.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed May 26, 2010 2:07 am

Geez, excuse me ... wrong thread!

I thought you were talking 'bout hoodoos, as in Bryce Canyon NP in Utah.

Hey, at least I didn't think you were talkin' about "HOOTERS."

8)

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Wed May 26, 2010 2:31 am

I plead the fifth...

...the fifth person who love dey R1, yo!!

MScholes

by MScholes » Wed May 26, 2010 2:59 am

For what it's worth, I own a standard R1 pullover, and an R1 Hoody. I love both but the hoody version has those little extras that just make it fantastic. It's longer so you can tuck it in and get none of that ride up that preceeds the cold spindrift arriving. Thumb loops for your sleeves so they never ride up either, the material is thin but tough at the extremities (ie: the part that was purposely made to be tucked in and the sleve cuffs) so it never bunches up for gets in the way and you wont need to size up your gloves, you'll never know it's there... which is one of the main reasons why it's so good.

It does it's job and never calls attention to itself, as say a poorly functioning comparable peice may do... you'll certainly know when you're wearing something else that provides discomfort.

The zipper on the R1 hoody is also much deeper - thus providing slightly more ventilation if needed, and making it easier to put on and take off - not everyone enjoys pullovers, it's true!

The hood is also fantastic, fits quite nicely UNDER a nice winter hat if so desired. I don't know about you, but sometimes the ear flaps on big winter hats don't always keep the wind and cold out, even when cinched down and not everyone feels like carrying a balaclava in their pockets "just in case" the wind picks up.

All reasons in my opinion that you just can't beat the R1 hoody. Worth every penny and with me on every trip.

cdurf

by cdurf » Wed May 26, 2010 4:59 am

Skinny frame and ape arms. Why can't clothing companies make clothes for tall bodies with a narrow frame.

REI once sold a long underware top that was a MT medium Tall. They discontinued it. Bummer.

There were two hoodies I like. It was an REI hoody with long arms but a hevier fleece and the R1 Hoody. With the R1 the arms were too short and I added a loop of flat shoe lace string to extend the arm length for the thumb loop.

I cant agree more with the design of R1 pull over with low zipper to vent heat. Balaclavas are lovely to have and the hood is a great addition to it. Pop it on for quick warmth or off to cool down.

Please Pataguchi I am a medium tall body with XL arms. Build clothes for me. The DAS parka just all my body parts.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed May 26, 2010 5:03 am

For cryin' out loud ...

Here's a picture of one (for those of you)) very confused right now.

We very seldom wear these in AZ, but they still look freakin' cool !

Kai

by Kai » Wed May 26, 2010 6:05 am

Wow.

I've stumbled into a Hoodie Cult meeting.

Well, I'm going to drink the kool-aid and get one.

I have a Cloudveil Run Don't Walk pullover that is currently my favorite mid layer.

STP has a hoodie version on sale I'm going to try.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,256 ... r-Men.html

For $41, it's worth a shot.

Next

Return to Gear