How do I climb?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
atomiccows1

How do I climb?

by atomiccows1 » Sat May 24, 2014 3:01 am

So basically I'm a complete novice. I have a fair amount of backpacking experience, but I was in college for the last 4ish years in an area with no nearby natural rock, and only have gotten out a handful of times. I haven't even been a consistent gym climber in that time frame, so while I think I could send a top rope 5.8, that's probably my current limit.

I have a teensy bit of experience building anchors. Enough that I have been able to set up a couple of top rope climbs independently, but I would feel a lot more comfortable if I had someone with more experience than me looking over my set-ups so that I don't get myself or anyone else that I'm climbing with killed.

I have a trad rack that includes some nuts and hexes that I've started playing around with at the bottom of some nearby crags.

I recently moved out to Colorado, and the mountains here are HUGE. If not a little intimidating to my mostly virgin eyes. Even hiking seems daunting when you're gaining 3000+ feet of vert in a day. I also don't really know anyone out here yet.

Essentially, I just want to know how other climbers got into climbing, how they learned, and if anyone has any suggestions or sage advice to give me. I'm really broke because "recent college grad" but it seems like taking a couple of classes with an outfitter might be a decent way to get started. Also if anyone is out in the Crested Butte area, or near Gunnison I will be out that way later this summer (early July) for a job, and would be interested in getting in contact with you.

Fletch

Re: How do I climb?

by Fletch » Sat May 24, 2014 8:10 am

I'd say you are already ahead of most climbers, because it sounds like you at least know what you don't know-which is everything!

Look into the Colorado Mountain Club, 14ers.com (boards over there are much more amenable to beginners), and some of the local shops in Gunnison, Montrose, Salida, CB, etc.

Just an FYI for Colorado though, make sure you differentiate between a hiker and a climber. There are lots of very experienced peakbaggers that are scared to death of a harness, and conversely, some 5.12 guys and gals that would not be caught dead on a 14er...

Go slow, have fun, keep an open mind, and ask lots of questions... You'll be fine. And you'll love Colorado. Good place...

ExcitableBoy

Re: How do I climb?

by ExcitableBoy » Sat May 24, 2014 3:05 pm

Generally, the best way to learn on a budget is to:

1) Educate yourself. Read 'The Freedom of the Hills'. It is always best to learn from a COMPETENT experienced climber or guide, but some book learning will definitely help, especially if you are asking partners to mentor you.

2) Find experienced partners to mentor you. Young, strong, experienced climbers are looking for other young, strong, experienced climbers to do hard routes with. Older climbers who have a wealth of experience yet are past their Sturm and Drang years are who you want to target. They will be happy to have a young strong buck to carry the rope and rack and are more patient and happy to give back to the next generation.

Before the internets, I met partners by meeting others while out climbing, bouldering, at gear shops, and through partner wanted ads on gear shop bulletin boards. Every new partner I've climbed with since 2000 I have met through a local climbing web site. I'm sure Colorado has an active, local web site. Put up a partner wanted ad. Be honest about your experience and goals. Offer to drive, belay, and buy beers in exchange for tutelage.

3) If you have some extra cash, investing in a few guided courses can be very helpful. Decide what type of climbing you are interested in and take those skill development courses. In Colorado you prolly want to target multi pitch traditional climbing skills, which really are the foundation for all types of climbing. When winter rolls around look at some ice climbing courses. You have the Ouray ice park which is a great resource for beginning ice climbers.

Return to General