Ice along I-70....fair game?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:23 pm

As they say in monopoly. Go to jail, go directly to jail. Do not pass go do not collect 200$

But!! In silverplume there's a 2 pitch route only about 10 minute hike up hill. And I hear there's some ice within walking distance of the loop railway west but I have yet to see it

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:26 am

Depends on where you are talking about. People climb Officer's Gulch on a regular basis. There has also been some nice flows on NF land on the west side of Tenmile and Pk 11785 that I seriously doubt you would get hassled for climbing. None of these are close enough to the road for anyone to bother you, but they are certainly visible from the road. I honestly don't know if it is illegal to climb those, but there is a legal trail beneath them, and they are not anywhere near the highway right of way.

ClimbandMine

Re: Ice along I-70....fair game?

by ClimbandMine » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:52 pm

peladoboton wrote:So as I was coming back from a gnary run up Grizzly Peak from Loveland Pass (wind like that was only in very intense movies, thought I), I saw a few sections of ice right off of the freeway...is that legal?

The ice right along I-70 just above Silverplume is illegal to climb. There are no parking signs along I70 EB that also say no climbing.

The Silverplume ice fall on the north side of the highway (above the mine) is legal, but I drove by it today - its not in yet. Officers gulch - the Shroud and others - are legal.

Return to Colorado