Ice Axe Advice

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
baumwolle

Ice Axe Advice

by baumwolle » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:21 pm

Hello, fellow mountain lovers!

I have been browsing Summitpost for quite a while, but this is my first post.

I am in need of advice for choosing a technical ice axe for winter moutaineering in the Carpathians. I intend to use it for mixed climbing and winter climbs of steep culoirs and chimneys. I don't see myself climbing ice falls or dry-tooling, not for a few years at least.

The way I see the problem is - because I don't really affor a pair of technical ice axes and since I don't intend on climbing icefalls - I could go by with a technical axe and my old Petzl Snowalker, which has served me fine for snow climbing until now.

The models I would pair this are the Petzl Aztarex, the Petzl Quark or the CT Flyhook, all hammer versions. What do you guys think? Would I be making a fine choice compromising like this (a tech axe and a walking axe)?

Thank you very much!

andrei

infinityjellyD

Re: Ice Axe Advice

by infinityjellyD » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:09 pm

Hi Andrei, I'll jump in with a response. The short answer is yes, the Snowalker + a semi-technical hammer will work.

I had a similar question and got some good advice that may be relevant. I am currently looking at the Summit Evo and Sum'tec combination that another SP user recommended:

ice-axes-and-tools-on-alpine-routes-t72955.html

I also found these old threads helpful in my research, as many responses discuss the combination of a self-arrest/piolet ax and a semi-technical/ice hammer tool:

ice-axe-for-self-arrest-t58194.html
can-an-ice-tool-be-too-technical-for-me-t66344.html

Hopefully those links will provide some more insight for your search.

Return to Gear