If you cant fit it all in your Bear box...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:21 pm

winemanvan wrote:There are certain areas where you are guaranteed to see a bear. Places like: Hetch Hetchy, Pate Valley, anywhere near Yosemite Valley, or near Cedar Grove, but I've seen them in remote, less traveled places like Tehipite Valley. A big, healthy 400+ beauty, who took off like an agile defensive lineman when he saw me. No matter where I go, I always take precautions against bears. The one time you don't is when the bad ass muthas will show up, and ruin your trip.

If you're hanging your Ursack from a tree make sure the bear can't reach the cord it's hanging from, because if he does he's taking off with it. Otherwise tie it around the trunk of a medium sized tree using its long cord. Or use the big boulder method when above the tree line. It's easy.

I have never had any problems with mice getting into mine, and there's no way I'm carrying steel wool in my pack.

+1

And bears certainly go high up over passes to go from one place to another- as folks are suggesting- but they aren't foraging for food up there. That's the difference. And I'd be interested if anyone's see a bear up at high elevation at night. I suspect that would be fairly unlikely.

Sleighty

by Sleighty » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:36 pm

Knowing their habits and where they like to scavenge, etc. is much more effective than throwing it in a crate and calling it safe. As stated above, it's about protecting the bear from developing habits, not the other way around.

I've used the method rhyang linked without problems. When in a place like yosemite, I just hike until after dark, and cook away from camp. Prevention.

sierraman

by sierraman » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:01 am

Many years ago I used to climb with a fellow who always carried a big bar of X-Lax in his food bag. He figured that way if a bear got his food it wasn't going to enjoy it.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:58 pm

I bet the "HOSS man" was never afraid of any stinking bear!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9MLixbN2GE

nickmech

by nickmech » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:02 am

I miss old Hoss.

Previous

Return to California