In The CORDILLERA BLANCA For JULY And AUGUST 2011 (NOW)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
BPhelan

In The CORDILLERA BLANCA For JULY And AUGUST 2011 (NOW)

by BPhelan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:38 am

Hi all,

I'm a 22 year old Medschool student who just finishing up a 4 week trauma rotation in Trujillo. I'll be in Huaraz for the next four weeks (25July-18August) the plan is to run, backpack, climb and scramble up and down the valley. But I'd love to make it higher and summit a few peaks. I have plenty of trekking experience (solo 450km hike in the swedish arctic) and I have been climbing for quite a few years now. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to do any mountaineering (Canada's east coast is pretty flat). My alpine experience doesn't go much further then scrambling in the Swiss alps and bagging peaks in northern Sweden and Norway.

I understand that taking a first timer up is a huge responsibility and its not what you came down here to do. But if anyone has a day or two to kill, some knowledge to pass on, and would like to head up and show me the ropes, I'd be forever grateful.

If not does anyone have any recommendations on where to start.

Cheers,
Ben phelan
Last edited by BPhelan on Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

etai101

Re: In The CORDILLERA BLANCA For JULY And AUGUST 2012

by etai101 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:04 am

guided tours are very easy to join in huaraz up "easy" andian summits:
pisco, urus, ishinca there are others but these are most popular so these will be youre best option.

before heading out to one of these summits trek high to get used to the altitude.

treks like laguna churup 4500m, laguna 69 and such.

good luck

Return to South America