inflatible pad is slippy

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
tigerlilly

inflatible pad is slippy

by tigerlilly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:07 pm

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem....?

When I use my inflatable pad, I inevitably wake up the next morning curled up on the bottom 1/4 of the pad. I find I sleep in a cat like fetal position, because my sleeping bag slides downhill on my slippery surface of the inflatable pad. Or in the middle of the night, I find my sleeping bag is moving all over the place.

My sleeping bad doesn't do this on the RidgeRest pads, because of the ridges. But I like my inflatable better. thoughts?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Get some Seam Grip, $6 or so, place little dots of it all over or simply spread some horizontal lines across the pad. Works like a champ and will remain forever.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:46 pm

Can't say that I have a fix, but I will add that some inflatable pads claim to have a slipresistant surface (not sure which one it is on mine). Also some sleeping bags have a little strap on the bottom to put around the pad - probably not much help. I always try to find the flattest spot I can for my sleeping bag so that I can avoid this problem (I tend to migrate downhill). Sleeping bags should be made with a big pocket on the bottom for the pad to fit into.

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:51 pm

option 1: the Big Agnes approach: pad goes inside a sleeve on the bottom of the bag. Can make your own sleeve with a piece of cloth and a lot of sewing. Actually you only need the top half of the sleeve...

option 2: velcro. It'll stick OK to your pad with adhesive, but for the bag side you're looking at sewing again.

option 3: friction strips like for bathtubs, applied to your pad. Not sure if these will stay attached when the pad is rolled up.

option 4: (my choice so far): deal with it. I sleep curled up anyway, don't care whether I'm on the top or bottom part of the pad.

Edit: Chief's approach looks like the best suggestion so far.

rhyang

Re: inflatible pad is slippy

by rhyang » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:02 pm

tigerlilly wrote:my sleeping bag slides downhill

What works for me is finding a flat surface to sleep on :)

robot one

by robot one » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:03 pm

The Chief has got it right. A tube of silicone adhesive is the same stuff and a little cheaper. You can moderate the stickiness, to taste, with a single application of talcum powder.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:56 pm

Well, slope or no slope, this happens. I prefer a slight incline just so my head is higher than my feet. I'll try the grip goo. THANKS!

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:40 pm

robot one wrote:The Chief has got it right. A tube of silicone adhesive is the same stuff and a little cheaper. You can moderate the stickiness, to taste, with a single application of talcum powder.

Wrong. Seamgrip is a urethane, not a silicone. Silicones tend to be slippery, so they wouldn't do the job as well.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:38 pm

tigerlilly wrote:Any suggestions on how to fix this problem....?

When I use my inflatable pad, I inevitably wake up the next morning curled up on the bottom 1/4 of the pad. I find I sleep in a cat like fetal position, because my sleeping bag slides downhill on my slippery surface of the inflatable pad. Or in the middle of the night, I find my sleeping bag is moving all over the place.

My sleeping bad doesn't do this on the RidgeRest pads, because of the ridges. But I like my inflatable better. thoughts?

My wife discovered a method that works for us on big expedition trips. We use a RidgeRest on the bottom, a Prolite 4 inflatable on top of that and place a 3/4 length sheet of 1/8" closed cell foam on the very top. The closed cell foam prevents the nylon sleeping bag from shifting even if you toss and turn at night and the foam won't slip on the Prolite inflatable.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:27 pm

Brad Marshall wrote:
tigerlilly wrote:Any suggestions on how to fix this problem....?

My wife discovered a method that works for us on big expedition trips. We use a RidgeRest on the bottom, a Prolite 4 inflatable on top of that and place a 3/4 length sheet of 1/8" closed cell foam on the very top. The closed cell foam prevents the nylon sleeping bag from shifting even if you toss and turn at night and the foam won't slip on the Prolite inflatable.

Sounds like a winner to me! No risk of something being messed up by having an adhesive applied to it.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:00 am

hmm. I have all three of these .... never thought of making a giant oreo cookie like this .... but it sounds super comfy! :D

I'll drag it all out of the closet tonight and do a quick little lab test in the front yard. My neighbors have seen us do stranger things.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:30 am

Is this for backpacking, or car camping?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:42 am

Buz Groshong wrote:
robot one wrote:The Chief has got it right. A tube of silicone adhesive is the same stuff and a little cheaper. You can moderate the stickiness, to taste, with a single application of talcum powder.

Wrong. Seamgrip is a urethane, not a silicone. Silicones tend to be slippery, so they wouldn't do the job as well.

Not slippery at all my friend. Sticky actually. Have it on all five of my inflatable Therm-a-Rests. And have done so for 15 or so years.

Learned this trick from a fellow guide and survival instructor 15 years ago. Seen many other "Guides" do the same and recommend that others do it as well.

Guess they and I are all wrong and the fact that the bag stays in place on top of the TAR is a figment of our imaginations.

But what do we know, right?

PS: The folks at TAR (Cascade Designs, Inc.) rec Seam Grip to repair any small holes that one may encounter out in the field. They actually use it to repair any major damage when they repair them in the factory.

The glue/adhesive that comes in this Repair Kit is and has been for the last two years, is a Seam Grip product and very similar to it in nature other than it is heated prior to application.

mtngeek

by mtngeek » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:19 am

The Chief wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:

Not slippery at all my friend. Sticky actually. Have it on all five of my inflatable Therm-a-Rests. And have done so for 15 or so years.

Learned this trick from a fellow guide and survival instructor 15 years ago. Seen many other "Guides" do the same and recommend that others do it as well.

Guess they and I are all wrong and the fact that the bag stays in place on top of the TAR is a figment of our imaginations.

I think you need to reread the post more carefully. Buz actually is correct, Seam Grip is not silicone, but urethane. However, nowhere did Buz say you were wrong with your idea.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:41 am

mtngeek wrote:
The Chief wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:

I think you need to reread the post more carefully. Buz actually is correct, Seam Grip is not silicone, but urethane. However, nowhere did Buz say you were wrong with your idea.

My point exactly and was posted in the sarcastic fashion that I sometimes post with.

Bottom line....

SEAM GRIP does a great job and will last longer than the actual material that the TAR is comprised of.

Ya'll take care now..........

Next

Return to Gear