Irving, LeConte, and Mallory Loops

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MCGusto

Irving, LeConte, and Mallory Loops

by MCGusto » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:24 am

Hey all,

Have a friend coming out in early May and was wondering the feasibility of doing the LeConte, Mallory, and Irvine loop snow-free. We're looking to avoid exposed snow-covered slopes, and were hoping this year's lack of snow might work in our favor. Obviously April is still open to storms, but judging how conditions are now, would this be feasible?

Other than the aforementioned, anyone have other peaks that might be possible (snow-free) in early May in the Southern Sierra? Maybe Olancha?

Thanks in advance,

Gusto

mrchad9

Re: Irving, LeConte, and Mallory Loops

by mrchad9 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:48 am

Think about Corcoran too, if you are interested. The chutes to get there may have some snow to cross but I think doable.

For the three you mentioned, the crux will obviously be the waterfall pitch on LeConte. This is the only real exposure on the whole loop. Could have some snow in there. Last fall there was a line fixed there with loops, which if used made the prospect of a fall much less likely. It was nice to have on the return.

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on the Waterfall Pitch. As for Corcoran, I saw that on the map and considered adding it in there. I'm curious to see what April's weather does up high, as that will be the determining factor in where we go.

Also considering Split, but not sure on the road to get to the trailhead, or the conditions to get up to the saddle from Red Lake.

Hmm...... ?

:?:

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:37 pm

Sorry, I've done Split twice, but never via the normal approach. Could be that you need some simple crampon with an ice ax to reach the ridge that time of year.

dshoshone

by dshoshone » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:51 am

The road to Split is probably the worst road to any trailhead that I've ever been on. It took me an hour and a half to go the last 10 miles. You'll need high clearance and preferably 4wd.
I just came back from Birch Lake, one canyon north of Split. The first five miles were snow free, the last mile patchy. Mostly snow above Birch lake to the top of the Thumb.
The snow pack isn't very deep though. If this weather holds the snow won't last long.

The following user would like to thank dshoshone for this post
MCGusto

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:01 am

Yeah... read about the road to the trailhead of Split. Jesus... so many freakin' options in the Southern Sierra it's just mind blowing! Was also looking at possibly doing a loop up Kearsage Pass, head over to University Peak, then down University Pass back to the trailhead.

Mmmmmmm.... options.

Think I'm going to come up with my top 3 options for up high, then maybe 3 alternate routes in case of snowfall in April. Heck, even contemplated trying to smash out Tyndall, but heading over Shepherd's Pass again, or possibly getting up there and being blocked by snow (my buddy doesn't have any snow experience), would just be the worst.

Thanks again,

Gusto

Return to California