Is hiking up southeast side of La Plata reasonable?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
obosha

Is hiking up southeast side of La Plata reasonable?

by obosha » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:33 pm

i'd like to camp the east side of la plata because of crystal lake, but i'm not sure how doable a hike up la plata is from the southeast.

does anyone have any knowledge in this regard? it looks reasonable from topo map, but obviously there are many variables beyond topography alone.

no avatar
MtnHermit

by MtnHermit » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:57 pm

obosha wrote: it looks reasonable from topo map
I have an issue with this statement, but a more basic question. How were you planning to get to Crystal Lake, since their are no trails?

Don't take my comments as discouraging, looks like a terrific, seldom used basin.

mattpayne11

by mattpayne11 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:09 am

It does look very cool indeed on the map. I don't see a trail anywhere. It seems there is access to some un-named 13'er points there as well. As far as the climbing goes - not sure how hard that approach would be - I suspect it would be pretty much doable but steep and a lot of scree. I recall looking over into that basin when I did the SW slopes route of La Plata and it looked to be pretty steep and bouldery. Wish I could provide more data.

Matt
http://www.100summits.com

Good luck!

obosha

by obosha » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:07 am

trails? who needs trails? :wink:

what was your issue with my statement? you aren't a fan of topo maps.... they do what they do very well....

thanks for the comments.....

miztflip

by miztflip » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:12 pm

The problem other than trails is the issue of private property. You'll have to start at the standard trailhead and skirt the Ellingwood Ridge of LaPlata to get to the basin your looking at. That's about the only public access from the highway in that area. It's a bushwhack from hell just getting to Ellingwood, can't imagine going further and then turning up with backpacking gear. It is a beautiful basin, but as much as I like a good bushwhack, I'd pass on it.

Kane

by Kane » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:36 pm

I'm with Miztflip. Looks like a brutal bushwhack if you started at the standard TH. Looking at Google Earth, clearly the best way to get into that drainage would be to use the Willis Gulch TH. There's a very good trail that runs all the way up into that drainage. Ive used it twice. Leave the trail at 12200 ft and hike west over a small ridge and drop down 400-ft to Crystal Lake. Actaully looks fairly easy. The route up La Plata looks doable on GE however it looks like steep talus, which may be quite heinous. GE shows nothing but straight talus. No green tundra in there to mix it up or provide support.

Return to Colorado