Jetboil on orizaba

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
rocky29oct

Jetboil on orizaba

by rocky29oct » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:02 pm

hello,

I am going to orizaba around xmas time. does anyone know if i can get a pressurized propane for my jetboil in Tlachichuca? and where?

Thanks. :?

bighornmonkey

by bighornmonkey » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:10 pm

I attempted Orizaba on two different occasions in the past 3 years. And hanged out in Tlachichuca before and after the climb. To my knowledge, there is no mountaineering or sporting good store there. White gas is easy to find though and I bought it from a paint store in Tlachichuca.
If you really want to take your jetboil, you might want to check in advance with the jeep driver who will take you up the mountain (Senor Gerard & Senor Reyes are the main guys)...They usually have last minute supplies for climbers like white gas...you might just be lucky.
Otherwise, spend a few hours in Mexico City to buy your canister.

dswink

by dswink » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:55 am

I believe regular fuel cannisters are available at the store in the Reyes compound.

If not, I found that butane catridges are very commonly sold in the small hardware stores almost everywhere in Mexico. The cartugos de butano (sp?) are the size and shape of a large can of hairspray but topped with the right screw threads to fit a stove. I think the Mexicans use them for outdoor lighting and heating.

In desperation, I used them with my Snow Peak stove on a recent climbing trip but had no problems with them. The cannister has to be propped up with rocks or such because of its shape, but the fuel burned well for us up to 11.5K.

Dave

no avatar
devnull4

Re: Jetboil on orizaba

by devnull4 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:35 pm

While this is too late for your trip, here is some info for those that are searching threads for future trips.

Senor Limon and Senor Reyas both sell canisters that work with Jet Boils. They are different than what you find in the states, but the threads are correct and the full mix is the same. My Jet Boil worked well with the fuel for Orizaba. The highest I fired it up was around 16K'

rocky29oct wrote:hello,

I am going to orizaba around xmas time. does anyone know if i can get a pressurized propane for my jetboil in Tlachichuca? and where?

Thanks. :?

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean