Josh not crowded

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
x15x15

by x15x15 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:01 pm

but the point really is.... walk away from the road, and you WILL have as many classics that you can handle, to yourself... even during peak season... including long holiday weekends...

i guarantee it!

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:30 pm

I've never seen anyone at any of the places Kris mentioned either, but Super Dome, et al., is a haul. I remember hiking all the way out there to do The Last Unicorn and bailing because it was just too dicey (for me at least). Good adventure climbing out there.

I think that 5.7 is called Wisest Crack, or something like that. It's reputedly a good 45 min.-1 hr. uphill hike though.

Episcopalian Toothpick is great, but the pro might strike some folks as sketchy. I remember leading it BITD and telling my belayer to run if I fell.

I'm not saying you can't find stuff with no one on it (thank god). I'm just saying that a short hike is NOT a guarantee of finding no one in line for the route.

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Kris & Guy :)

I suppose Jtree over Thanksgiving is sort of like Shasta over Memorial Day .. an excuse to party and be sociable. You would think I'd know better by now :lol:

ksolem

by ksolem » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:29 pm

fatdad wrote: ...I think that 5.7 is called Wisest Crack, or something like that. It's reputedly a good 45 min.-1 hr. uphill hike though...

Yeah, that's it.

Maybe 45 if you really take your time. The top of Ryan Mtn. from Hall of Horrors parking is only a bit over an hour going fast. It's also a nice hike from Ryan CG (I hate the regular trail.)

Unlike Yosemite and Kings Canyon, distances and scale in Josh are usually smaller than they appear.

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:13 pm

graham wrote:
….We saw some fresh Bighorn Sheep footprints and droppings, but alas no sheep sightings
Although in the fading light on Sat evening, we caught an extremely rare glimpse of a Moose on the MooseDog Tower. Probably the first it’s kind ever :D

Good to catch you down there amongst the hordes, grahamcracker. Wish I could have been in a better mood... :cry:

But the guys were wonderful, and it was a hard-chargin' weekend. Can't wait to get the Vipers and hit some more icy walls. There's a couple of ridges up here that have been calling to me, as well... :wink:

-L 8)

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:52 pm

The one time a movie and a beer sounded better :D

Deb

by Deb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:53 am

TheOrglingLlama wrote:
Deb wrote:
graham wrote:
….We saw some fresh Bighorn Sheep footprints and droppings, but alas no sheep sightings
Although in the fading light on Sat evening, we caught an extremely rare glimpse of a Moose on the MooseDog Tower. Probably the first it’s kind ever :D

That's wonderful ! :D

It is indeed :mrgreen:

Interesting how my words were molested ... hmmm. Not exactly what I said...........
SP = NO freedom of speech for women

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:26 pm

Laura's one of my dearest friends. Without physical therapists like her, I would not be able to walk, hike and climb like I am today .. I'd still be in a wheelchair.

Some other Moose sightings -

Laurel Mountain, NE Gully

Stemwinder, Thor Peak

Crystal Crag, North Arete

Hope you are doing ok these days Deb :) Ice season is almost here !

graham

by graham » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:50 pm

Deb wrote:….SP = NO freedom of speech for women
That’s retarded :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hyadventure

by Hyadventure » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:31 pm

I bumped into that moose in JT too..

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:42 pm

Deb wrote:SP = NO freedom of speech for women

Well, golly, I just don't seem to have that problem. Must be the antlers.

But, WOW, to be noticed by someone I've never met before! And so big time! Gee, I'm just blushing all over. Thanks for the support, Deb! That's just so awfully nice. :lol:

Previous

Return to California