Karakoram Photos Wanted!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
BigLee

Karakoram Photos Wanted!

by BigLee » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:26 pm

I adopted the Karakoram page at the beginning of the year when it was only two paragraphs and have been quite busy building it since as is probably quite evident!

I could do with some photos of peaks other than those which have mountain pages on SP. At the moment I'm relying on my own collection of photos but if anybody else has any they could contribute it would be welcome. I don't care how big or small or climbed or unclimbed they are.

Cheers, Lee

yetibob3

by yetibob3 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:00 pm

I have a bunch of slides from a 1985 trek to K2 base camp, with shots of some of the walls and towers along the Baltoro. The major peaks probably have better photos by others. I can scan a few of the best slides and E-mail the images if you wish

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:03 pm

I have some photos, of an SUV, a tree, a road sign and a small frog. Seems this should be plenty for you to make a 10/10 album right here on Summit(?)post.

Oh, and you've spelt it correctly. That's simply not on. You and your kind who post images of real mountains that you've actually been to, spelt correctly, are what's wrong with SP. Get out.

:evil:

runawayagain

there is a post about Karakoram

by runawayagain » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:01 am

there is many picture take in karakoram area in China, I have no idea that is really the main peak of Karakoram,but maybe you can take a look,biglee.
http://bbs.city.tianya.cn/new/TianyaCity/Content.asp?idWriter=0&Key=0&idItem=266&idArticle=18898&page_num=1

BigLee

by BigLee » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:30 am

Damien Gildea wrote:I have some photos, of an SUV, a tree, a road sign and a small frog. Seems this should be plenty for you to make a 10/10 album right here on Summit(?)post.

I'm not so interested in frogs but do you have any donkeys photos? Also, pictures of Chinese looking lost in Sost, squat toilets or trunk stops that would be good I think.

Damien Gildea wrote:Oh, and you've spelt it correctly. That's simply not on. You and your kind who post images of real mountains that you've actually been to, spelt correctly, are what's wrong with SP.

It seems I shouldn't have submitted some of these pages according to proposed rules on the Site Feedback thread since I have not climbed them all. Do you know anybody on SP who has climbed Rakaposhi, Kunyang Chhish East or Makrong Chhish?!

Damien Gildea wrote:Get out.

Ok, I'm going

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:38 pm

I'm not so interested in frogs but do you have any donkeys photos? Also, pictures of Chinese looking lost in Sost, squat toilets or trunk stops that would be good I think.

You mean donkey photos from expeditions or donkey photos I downloaded from that German website ? Truck stops I can do, but generally I've tried to get out of Sost as quickly as possible. Ditto squat toilets.

It seems I shouldn't have submitted some of these pages according to proposed rules on the Site Feedback thread since I have not climbed them all.

Hmmm. Note that amongts my numerous tirades I myself never proposed that this should be a 'rule' across the board - for precisely this reason. Corax and yourself have submitted well-researched, quality information on peaks you haven't summited, but have at least been near, so you have your own photos. I never did it myself but I was fine with others doing it. My beef is against obviously bad, factually incorrect and generally lazy crap cut and pasted from other sources, often with no indication of such and with no original material from the 'author'.

Do you know anybody on SP who has climbed Rakaposhi, Kunyang Chhish East or Makrong Chhish?!

"Climbed" ? Now you're just being silly.

D

BigLee

by BigLee » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:55 pm

Actually, I've just heard from a reliable source that Makrong Chhish got climbed in 1985 by someone called Tadoo Sugimoto (not an SP memeber!!!). Bit of a bombshell since I had been thinking about that peak myself. I've always believed it to be unclimbed as did Yates and Sustad. But then you never can tell with the smaller stuff in the Karakoram that can easily be done in an Alpine style without anyone knowing. Whitehorn for example! I don't think anybody who tried that peak knew it got climbed in the 80s.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:41 pm

Let's hope Tadoo brought back some nice shots of trees and a cat.

But yes, that is a bombshell. Though having looked at your photos it's probably not that surprising. It doesn't look so bad compared to so many other things around there. There were never any decent photos in old mags, just enough to give a general impression what it looked like.

D

Corax

by Corax » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:37 pm

Tadao Sugimoto's name is mentioned a bit here and there. Some sources gives him the first ascent of Malanghutti Sar and one source states he's first person on the summit of Makrong Chhish. That source has been wrong before and personally I don't trust it for much.
I haven't dived deep into my Japanese info, but from the brief look I took I didn't find anything about Sugimoto.

I have sent off some questions and expect answers on the matter shortly.

Corax

by Corax » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:00 am

Ok, here's the info I got about Tadao Sugimoto:

Jutmaru Sar (or Yutmaru Sar) 7330m; first ascent in 1980
The 5-member Tokyo Shigakukai party, led by Tadao Sugimoto 33, made the first ascent by the North Ridge in July, 1980. They established Base Camp at 4650m on the Yutmaru Glacier on 21 June and advanced camps 1 (5150m) and 2 (5750m). On 15 July, they made camp 3 (6150m) on the Upper Yazghil Glacier and final camp 4 (6500m) two days later. Leader Sugimoto, Yu Watanabe 30 and Masahiro Motegi 25 launched their summit bid from camp 3 on 21. The trio successfully reached the summit by the North Ridge on 22 July after bivouacking at 6800m.

Malangutti Sar (7200m); first ascent in 1985
Sugimoto again led a party to Malangutti Sar and succeeded in the first ascent in August, 1985. His team, comprised 5 Japanese and a Nepalese Sherpa, established Base Camp at 4200m on the Momhil Glacier on 22 July. ABC was made at 4800m on 27 using 3 Pakistani high-altitude porters. Camp 1 (5400m) was set at the foot of the Southwest Ridge on 30. Then, they made camps 2 (6200m) and 3 (6500m) on the ridge. Sugimoto 39, Kengo Nakahara 29, Yasushi Muranaka 24 and Ang Nima Sherpa 24 set off camp 3 on 13 August and reached the South Summit at 12:50, where they found the North Summit looks a little bit higher and prceeded to the highest point which they arrived at 15:25.

No information on Makrong Chhish.

Origin of the info: Tsunemichi Ikeda, journalist for one of Japan's most important climbing magazines Rock & Snow and jury member for the Asia Piolet d'or.

Corax

by Corax » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:12 am

Minutes after the first mail, the answer from HAJ (T.M.) arrived.

It confirms the ascent of Malanghutti Sar in 1985 and states:

2. No Japanese has attempted Makrong Chhish. HAJ has no informtion on foreigners' challenge to this mountain.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:28 am

Nice work J, very interesting.

D

BigLee

by BigLee » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:25 pm

Yeah nice work. Who needs Lindsay Griffin.

I'll check with my friend who found mention of the ascent in a journal somewhere. You know who he is Corax as I climbed with him last summer. His info is nearly always very good.

BigLee

by BigLee » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:01 pm

Right, let me check the journal in question myself and I'll get back....

BigLee

by BigLee » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:37 pm

Yeah, I can't find anything either so it's still unclimbed in my book.

I remebered the other day that there was an expedition in that vacinity July 2006. I think they were trying Gandes Chhish although not really sure and haven't read anything yet.

Next

Return to Asia