Kearsarge pass trail conditions for next week

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
yang

Kearsarge pass trail conditions for next week

by yang » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:39 am

Hi,

Has anybody been there recently? I am thinking to go that area next week, maybe to charlotte lake. Is it still covered by snow? Can I drive to trail head? Is it closed? Do I need microspike?

Any information are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

colinr

Re: Kearsarge pass trail conditions for next week

by colinr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:01 am

Yes, the road is open to the trailhead.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5192379

As far as trail conditions, I can mostly just guess. Yes, there will be snow on hikes, still deep in many places. I've seen reports of decent consolidation allowing for easy walking in some places, but need for microspikes, crampons, and/or snowshoes can probably vary over the distance and terrain you are asking about and change some with rising and dropping temperatures. I'd either carry equipment or be flexible about destinations. There are several scenic options from that parking lot.

The following user would like to thank colinr for this post
yang

DukeJH

Re: Kearsarge pass trail conditions for next week

by DukeJH » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:27 pm

I was up there this weekend. Road is open all the way. We approached Kearsarge Peak via Golden Trout Lakes trail. Snow coverage is spotty from 9,200' to 10,000'. Above 10,000' snow coverage was consistent but very soft and wet in the afternoon. Almost every slope greater than 30 degrees had evidence of wet slides. We camped at 10,900'. In the morning the snow was well frozen on the surface making for great cramponing but requiring an ice axe to arrest any fall. Above 12,000' we encountered unconsolidated wind loaded snow on the southwesterly facing slope due to the high north-northeasterly winds Saturday night. On descent, the snow was wet and heavy, balling up under our crampons. Below 10,900', we packed the crampons and walked out with the occasional glissade.

Of course, wind and temperature this week will greatly influence the snow conditions for the upcoming weekend. I suggest visiting http://www.esavalanche.org/ .

The following user would like to thank DukeJH for this post
kevin trieu, yang

Return to California