Keeping gear in the car, is it bad for it?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Mike Swiz

Keeping gear in the car, is it bad for it?

by Mike Swiz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:17 pm

I did a search but didn't come up with anything.

I'm wondering if it is detrimental to keep things like Goretex jackets and climbing gear in my truck for long periods of time. I typically keep it all in my house, but then the times I want to spontaneously do some hiking or climbing after work it ends up taking too long to run back to the house and get the appropriate gear. Will this anything in particular even if it's kept away from sun light? I'm mostly worried about the heat build up in the truck while I'm in the office all day.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Swiz

Re: Keeping gear in the car, is it bad for it?

by Mike Swiz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:45 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:
Mike Swiz wrote:I did a search but didn't come up with anything.

I'm wondering if it is detrimental to keep things like Goretex jackets and climbing gear in my truck for long periods of time. I typically keep it all in my house, but then the times I want to spontaneously do some hiking or climbing after work it ends up taking too long to run back to the house and get the appropriate gear. Will this anything in particular even if it's kept away from sun light? I'm mostly worried about the heat build up in the truck while I'm in the office all day.

Thanks,
Mike

No I think you car will run just fine no matter how long you store gear in there.

DMT

Thank you Dingus, That's all I needed to know....

:?

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:15 pm

I had a pair of boots that I kept in the trunk fall apart after less than a week of real use (50 miles on trail, 50 off). I was told that the glue failed because of how hot it got in the car. I don't know if that's really the case, or if the boots were just crap to begin with.

welle

by welle » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:24 pm

it is not recommended to keep climbing shoes in hot temps.

also I know couple of people who have their cars broken in for the climbing gear.

hamik

by hamik » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:30 pm

It wasn't from sitting in the trunk, but they did get super-hot near the engine of an old jeep last summer. Keep shoes and climbing gear out of the car, IMO.

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:11 pm

hamik wrote:Image

It wasn't from sitting in the trunk, but they did get super-hot near the engine of an old jeep last summer. Keep shoes and climbing gear out of the car, IMO.

Stick out your tongue, and say AAAHHHH

Joe White

by Joe White » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:32 am

Mike Swiz wrote: I'm mostly worried about the heat build up in the truck while I'm in the office all day.

Mike, I'm mostly worried about your truck getting broken into for your gear. It happens.

Also...depending on where you live, heat can be a real issue. I had a pair of boots compromised once when I left them in a hot car in California for over a week with 100 degree temps.

Good luck!

Mike Swiz

by Mike Swiz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:18 pm

Joe White wrote:
Mike Swiz wrote: I'm mostly worried about the heat build up in the truck while I'm in the office all day.

Mike, I'm mostly worried about your truck getting broken into for your gear. It happens.

Also...depending on where you live, heat can be a real issue. I had a pair of boots compromised once when I left them in a hot car in California for over a week with 100 degree temps.

Good luck!

I was mostly worried about climbing shoes and Goretex items warping from the heat. I live in central Maryland so heat can be an issue during the summer. Looks like I will just have to keep everything at the house in a "go bag".

Thanks everyone for the info.

CClaude

by CClaude » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:00 pm

As stated, heat is the number one issue, with sunlight second (not so much of an issue since most windows have some UV absorbers in them). Myself, I have my climbing gear in my car (have insurance on it, and the break in rated in my section of Flagstaff, Az is low) and I through an insolated reflector over it, and the temps rarely get that hot here (except this last weekend). In areas like New York, Squamish,..... I'd never leave my gear in the car due to theft rates, and in California, Southern Arizona, Texas,... because of the heat.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Just an idea, but maybe you could keep your stuff at the office? That is if there's a place to put it and you can get in on the weekends, and or don't forget to take the stuff home for the weekend.

Mike Swiz

by Mike Swiz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:17 pm

Hotoven wrote:Just an idea, but maybe you could keep your stuff at the office? That is if there's a place to put it and you can get in on the weekends, and or don't forget to take the stuff home for the weekend.

That's not a bad idea. I would probably forget it on the weekends, but I do have 24/7 access to my office.

If I was rich I would just buy 2 of everything. Actually if I was rich I wouldn't work so then there would be no need to even go to the office. :wink:

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:05 pm

Hey Mike, I'm just starting this year to really get into Rock Climbing, what do you say one of these weekends I drive down and we could hit up a good spot in Maryland, PA is kind of dry as far as rock goes...Is there anything good near where you live or in between us we could meet up at for a day?

Mike Swiz

by Mike Swiz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:38 pm

Hotoven wrote:Hey Mike, I'm just starting this year to really get into Rock Climbing, what do you say one of these weekends I drive down and we could hit up a good spot in Maryland, PA is kind of dry as far as rock goes...Is there anything good near where you live or in between us we could meet up at for a day?

I'm still a complete novice with roped climbing only having been out a couple times but I would definitely be up for it. There really isn't anything multi-pitch local, but there are plenty of places within an hour of my house to climb. Or there is always WV, I have a friend who lives in Davis which is not far from Seneca.

Here is a link to an small online guide (there is much more in the actual book), but it will give you an idea of what is around here.

Indy's Guide

Edit: to add content

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:01 am

Mike Swiz wrote:
Hotoven wrote:Hey Mike, I'm just starting this year to really get into Rock Climbing, what do you say one of these weekends I drive down and we could hit up a good spot in Maryland, PA is kind of dry as far as rock goes...Is there anything good near where you live or in between us we could meet up at for a day?

I'm still a complete novice with roped climbing only having been out a couple times but I would definitely be up for it. There really isn't anything multi-pitch local, but there are plenty of places within an hour of my house to climb. Or there is always WV, I have a friend who lives in Davis which is not far from Seneca.

Here is a link to an small online guide (there is much more in the actual book), but it will give you an idea of what is around here.

Indy's Guide

Still a novice! Last time I talked to you (A year ago) you were all about building your wall and getting into climbing! (haha I'm just poking fun :wink: )

I do a lot of top roping and just getting into sport climbing which is much more fun. I could care less about muti-pitched stuff for now. So if you know of any rocks with some rad sport routes let me know. I'll take a look at that climbing guide too. WV is a bit far for me. Its hard for me to get a full weekend off work. So the closer the better.

Mike Swiz

by Mike Swiz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:45 pm

Hotoven wrote:
Mike Swiz wrote:

Indy's Guide

Still a novice! Last time I talked to you (A year ago) you were all about building your wall and getting into climbing! (haha I'm just poking fun :wink: )

I do a lot of top roping and just getting into sport climbing which is much more fun. I could care less about muti-pitched stuff for now. So if you know of any rocks with some rad sport routes let me know. I'll take a look at that climbing guide too. WV is a bit far for me. Its hard for me to get a full weekend off work. So the closer the better.

I've mostly been doing bouldering (which is what the wall in my barn is for, no need for ropes when you're only 14' up). I've been going back to college so this past year has left very little time to learn new things. As far as sport routes in MD, There are very few of them as far as I know (someone else can chime in if they know of any areas with some sport routes). There are plenty of places to top rope though. I think Rocks State Park might be closer to you than my house, but not sure if there is camping there though. Send me a PM with what weekends are looking like a possibility and I'll check my schedule.

I will be in NY tomorrow for a funeral and then at Assateague Island Friday through Sunday camping on the beach so I may not get back to you until Monday.

Next

Return to Gear