Lassen Peak?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
sgenise

Lassen Peak?

by sgenise » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:40 pm

Anyone know the current conditions on Lassen Peak? I've heard it's a good beginner volcano, but don't know what the conditions are usually like this time of year. Thanks!

colinr

Re: Lassen Peak?

by colinr » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:58 pm

Conditions look pretty typical for this time of year. According to LAVO NPS website, the trail is still mostly snow covered, but according to a peakbagger.com entry, it is ~75% melted out. Lassen generally gets tons of winter and spring snow, but it ought to be melting fast with the long days and warm weather. I'd expect some postholing if you go soon, but for it still to be an incredibly easy hike for anyone fit and with any snow experience. I could see crampons, axe, snowshoes, and precise route details being advisable if you were going earlier in the season or during a cold snap, but doubt any of that would be necessary or helpful for the rest of summer. Be advised that Lassen Peak and Park may be a zoo this upcoming holiday weekend unless folks are waiting for snow to melt.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:38 pm

All you need is hiking boots to do the trail right now. No snow gear needed.

The slopes around the sides still have good snow coverage. If you are wanting to try out crampons and axe on a beginner route leave the trail at the first switchback after it crosses over to the southeast side of the peak. Can head directly up the snow slope from there. Don't need snowshoes this late in the year.

stoaX

by stoaX » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:40 pm

If you haven't been to Lassen before, I highly recommend it. The mountain itself is great and there is a lot more worth seeing in that park. For example, Cinder Cone is a short little hike but it is quite interesting and even rather amusing. And the bubbling mud pots - what's not to like?

sgenise

by sgenise » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:35 pm

TR from yesterday:

The trail was almost completely snow-free, and very well marked when not, to the point where we thought it would be rather boring, so we went around and did the southeast face direct. Good snow all the way to the saddle between the summits, quite a bit of fun. Right now there's definitely a Lassen face/trail for people of all skill levels.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention was that even Fourth of July weekend the park was completely deserted. Got a walk-in campsite at like 6 PM, and even on the summit of Lassen in the mid-afternoon there were only about 3-4 people there with us, and on the hike down we only saw a few more people. Don't know if that will persist through this weekend, but either way it's a great time to go if the Sierras are too crowded for you.
Last edited by sgenise on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:56 pm

Anybody know anything about this blurb from the Park's website, Lassen Peak Trail Guide?

https://www.nps.gov/lavo/planyourvisit/ ... -guide.pdf

OK, did a little more research and realize that this info is from a couple years ago, Duh! Apparently the Park Service hasn't kept up with all the pages on their website and I picked the wrong one to look at!

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:15 am

Yes if you want to know about any mountain conditions the National Park Service is the last organization I'd use as a resource. Even below the National Forest Service.

sgenise

by sgenise » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:11 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Yes if you want to know about any mountain conditions the National Park Service is the last organization I'd use as a resource. Even below the National Forest Service.

Single patch of snow on the ground = NPS bulletin: "Winter mountaineering conditions exist. Do not attempt unless you have extensive experience, three avalanche probes, 12 ice axes, 100 pieces of pro, and a death wish."

The following user would like to thank sgenise for this post
mrchad9

Return to California