Lippincott Road in Death Valley?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Lippincott Road in Death Valley?

by Bob Sihler » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:07 am

Does anyone know if the road has been permanently closed?

The most recent maps from NPS do not show the road anymore. There is no mention of it on the park PDF about backcountry roads. I was hoping to drive it from the Racetrack when I visit the park next month.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

kovarpa

Re: Lippincott Road in Death Valley?

by kovarpa » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:20 pm

I biked it a couple of years ago, New Year's Eve 2007, I think (both ways). Friends drove it in two Subarus in 2008 (downhill)!!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:40 am

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Bob Sihler

dshoshone

by dshoshone » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Here is another good site to ask that question.

http://forum.salinepreservation.org/?forum=162656

The following user would like to thank dshoshone for this post
Bob Sihler

Carbo

by Carbo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:02 pm

I was at the Racetrack this past weekend. The rangers made it sound as if it was washed out/no go (likely overstating it to keep people out). I drove in and out of the dirt road coming in from the north (Scotty's castle) and that was fine. I did see dirtbikers heading south to the Lippincott road but have no idea if they made it

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:43 am

Carbo wrote:I drove in and out of the dirt road coming in from the north (Scotty's castle) and that was fine.

Was that passenger car or high clearance? Other than the usual crappy washboard near the end, how would it be for a passenger car at this time?

Carbo

by Carbo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:19 am

Day Hiker wrote:
Carbo wrote:I drove in and out of the dirt road coming in from the north (Scotty's castle) and that was fine.

Was that passenger car or high clearance? Other than the usual crappy washboard near the end, how would it be for a passenger car at this time?

I had high clearance, but you didn't need it. I saw two guys in a regular car out there. The main issue will be flat tires. The rocks were sharp and a couple in a jeep turned around after their second flat 12 miles in. I didn't see anyone else get a flat though.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:10 am

Carbo wrote:I had high clearance, but you didn't need it. I saw two guys in a regular car out there. The main issue will be flat tires. The rocks were sharp and a couple in a jeep turned around after their second flat 12 miles in. I didn't see anyone else get a flat though.

Oh, the sharp rocks. I almost forgot. Strange how something seemed to change between the 1990s and 2000s. I never got a flat there before, even with a passenger car. Then, years later, we saw a bunch of people with flats, and we got one too.

I think one trick is to air down the tires, way down, maybe to 15psi (just a rough guess). Bring a pump and fill them up to 35 when you're back to pavement.

Carbo

by Carbo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:34 pm

I lowered my tire pressure a bit but I didn't want my sidewall to get hit by going too low.

Joeyroo

by Joeyroo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:51 am

Bob Sihler wrote:Does anyone know if the road has been permanently closed?

The most recent maps from NPS do not show the road anymore. There is no mention of it on the park PDF about backcountry roads. I was hoping to drive it from the Racetrack when I visit the park next month.

There are two maps that the NPS hands out. One map for the regular folks that they hand out by default and another map for the "4WD folks" (which you have to specifically ask for).

I found the link for you...
http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/u ... oads-2.pdf

#14 in red "Lippincott Road conditions require experienced 4-wheel drivers"

I've driven Lippincott many times. Most recently in April 2010. If you got any other questions let me know.

no avatar
Thehermit

by Thehermit » Wed May 02, 2012 7:25 am

I hiked down a couple miles (didnt want to risk it solo,no one knew I was there). Ran into a stock tundra coming up. The road seems fine as of 11/11 4x4 required

RoryKuykendall

by RoryKuykendall » Wed May 02, 2012 8:13 am

I don't know anything specific about current conditions, but I rode shotgun coming down that road last year in February and thought it was spectacular, particularly the views into Saline Valley. I hope it works out for you.

Bring all the water you can fit! Just in case.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed May 02, 2012 3:20 pm

Some friends went there about a week ago. Looks fine for high clearance. The photos I saw didn't look that bad. I'd take my outback there, but then, I take my outback lots of places it shouldn't go.

clmbr

by clmbr » Wed May 02, 2012 4:56 pm

I took that road to Saline Valley in winter a few years ago and loved it. There were a few washouts with steep angles I was not sure about but otherwise an exciting and beautiful road. Well, and the hot springs, a very nice place.

However, there is always some info not given away, unless solicited for, to prevent some from getting in to the trouble.

Return to California