Lone Pine Peak in mid-April

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Mescalito345

Lone Pine Peak in mid-April

by Mescalito345 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:16 pm

Some of us are planning to attempt Lone Pine Peak in a couple of weeks, as a two-day trip. Does anyone have any recent photos or information about current conditions in the Meysan Lakes area? Thanks.

phydeux

Re: Lone Pine Peak in mid-April

by phydeux » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:05 pm

I'm guessing you're going up through the Meysan Creek drainage, not climbing one of the rock routes on the east face? If going up the Meysan Creek watershed, you probably want to check with the Whitney Ranger station in Lone Pine to make sure the Whitney Portal Road is open (lots of snow this year). If not its another day (at least) to get to the trailhead. The walk-in to the lakes from the campground area is pretty easy later in spring/summer, its a nice trail cut into the slope. But if the trail is still covered with snow it'll be kind of difficult since you'll be walking through snow on a steep slope. The route up is from the lower lakes (commonly called something like 'grass lake' or 'green lake'), just follow the slope up to the ridge, turn left and walk to the summit. One of the better mountaintop views in the Sierra Nevada Mtns (IMO).

Mescalito345

Re: Lone Pine Peak in mid-April

by Mescalito345 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:45 pm

Thanks for the reply. Someone posted some recent photos of Whitney Portal Road on Facebook, and it looks like you can drive more than half-way up to the Portal right now. In November 2018, I did a day-hike up to Grass Lake, so I’m familiar with the route. The main question I have is about the depth of the snow in the steep chute above Grass Lake that leads to the summit plateau. We’re planning to bring along snowshoes, crampons, ice axes, beacons, probes, etc.

Return to California