Long hair on extended trek

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
kacypost

Long hair on extended trek

by kacypost » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:40 pm

Sorry if this topic has been covered already. I couldn't find any related topics.

I'm going on an Everest BC trek in March 08. I'm female and have long hair down to the middle of my back. Most of my previous overnight treks have been less than a week. If you've done this trek with long hair, I'd be interested in knowing what you did or used to manage it. I ordered a couple of buffs but haven't received them yet. That may be my best option. Thought they would be less smelly than a fleece cap or whatever. I don't care what I look like but bathing will be limited so I'm just looking for some advice/ideas. I've considered chopping it off but my husband is hoping that I won't. :wink: If I should chop it, I want to know. Thanks in advance!

klwagar

by klwagar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:53 pm

There isn't a problem with long hair and trekking. I was able to wash my hair frequently on this kind of trek. We were out for 35 days.

Nelson

by Nelson » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:57 pm

In 1977 my wife and I did a 5 week trek in Nepal, including Everest BC. Her hair was very long at the time (pigtail down most of her back), but she was always able to find places to wash.

However, her hair was also very blonde, and the local women often wanted to run their fingers through it. Fingers that had just been out in the fields making yak dung patties, so it's questionable how long her hair stayed clean! :)

You should have no problem. Don't chop it.

henry952

by henry952 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:21 am

I did most of the Everest BC trek on the way to ama dablam. The trail is actually heavily developed with towns every mile or so. Most people don't camp out as there are cabins you can stay in and you can take a shower every other day if not every day if you wanted to for about 100 ruppees ($2).

no avatar
Dan Helmstadter

by Dan Helmstadter » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:33 am

Dont chop it....... those hats do get kind of smelly after a while. I dont know you, but i think you bring to much concern to the subject(as everyone does for one thing or anorther) i would concentrate on a differant "worry" of the trip. pherhaps you want to chop it though?

Cloudwalker757

by Cloudwalker757 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:12 pm

I just returned from EBC trek and showers are available every night. The cost is usually around 200 Rupees. As the altitude increases, the temps get lower and the entry and exit to/from shower can be a bit chilly. Another problem is trying to keep your clothes dry without a shower curtain. Long hair will not be a problem.

Nelson

by Nelson » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:31 pm

Back in 1977 there was one hot shower available in Namche, if memory serves me well. I don't remember what the cost was, but we did use it since we had been on the trail for about 3 weeks without one at that point.

Later we heard that the Sherpa who owned the shower was actually making most of his money by charging men to look through a peephole he had rigged up, so they could see nude Western women! :)

SophiaClimbs

by SophiaClimbs » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:34 pm

Pigtails.

Foxy Long Bottoms

by Foxy Long Bottoms » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:23 pm

I agree with sophia. My hair is about 5" past my shoulders. The longest that I've gone without a shower/brush has only been 9 days. I just let my freak flag fly and let it do as it will. I put it in a pony tail, french braid or pig tails and then clean up the rats nest once I'm home. What's a buff?

Outdoorgirl_ca

by Outdoorgirl_ca » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:47 pm

Don't cut your hair. I did the trek two years ago, and didn't have any problems with my long hair. And no one tried to run yak-dung fingers through my blond hair either. :shock: Tea houses have shower options available for a dollar or two, so you won't have any problems with bathing. I also used a hat, and at other times a buff, with no problems either way.

Have a great trip.

Chewbongka

by Chewbongka » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:34 pm

Trust me girlfriend, Chewy's been around.
And you can let your freak flag fly all over this universe, yah know what i'm sayin.
Just jump in any river and BANG that hair between two rocks & you'll be just fine, baby.
WOOT!

jvarholak

by jvarholak » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:58 am

aftet 7-10 days I just put on my best Bob Marley accent and "stir it up...little darlin'...stir it up"........ :D

Shirley Lam

expeditions and smelly hair

by Shirley Lam » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:23 am

I have long, black hair that goes a little further than mid-back and have gone 3 weeks without washing it on a trip. It does get a little smelly, but what works for me is two braids on each side and a bandana on top for fly-aways. It's easier to wash the bandana than your hair and just re-braid every several days (the less you mess with your hair, the less oily it will get).

And don't worry...being smelly is part of the adventure!

Return to Asia