Los Pirineos conditions, etc.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
MoabPeakBagger

Los Pirineos conditions, etc.

by MoabPeakBagger » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Hello,

Planning about a week's trip into Los Pirineos this summer, probably June 6-12 or so. What are conditions typically like this time of year? Is much of the snow melted off? I was planning on hiking the GR-11... (portions thereof)... I'm assuming I don't need crampons/axe? Also, what's the deal with the refuges? Reservations are needed, I saw... are they necessary? Or is dispersed camping cool? Are there many people hiking this or will I have it to myself?

Any and all answers will be appreciated.

visentin

Re: Los Pirineos conditions, etc.

by visentin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi !
We call Los Pirineos is in English "the Pyrenees", like in French without accents. There are many pages about them and each subregions, have you looked at them ?
WHich area do you plan to visit (and what activity do you plan ? only hiking ?). What terrain, what range of elevations ? From the way you spelled it as well as GR11, I guess you are going to the Spanish side ? Depending on it conditions can vary extremely from one opposite to the other.
Beware about the GR11 which requires a strong logistic and taking a lot of provisions, as facilities are much more sparse than some other long distance routes in the range. But I imagine that for US mountaineers, this is the usual way to do !
I would say that for high mountains iceaxe and crampons are more than mandatory for this time of the year, even if below 2000 or 2500 (depends on the years) they are not needed.
Refuges => reservations not needed. Just come and sleep !
Unless you want the bed 100% guaranted, and pay a deposit and need to go at all cost despite of very changeable weather conditions.
Wildcamping is tolerated when it is made as bicouacking; permanent wild-camping especially in protected zones has less chances to be tolerated, however removing a basic tent at dawn, out of the beaten track, is usually no problem.
Having it to yourself or not, depends to what you compare it to. People in Europe usually say they are spared with crowds, unless you go to the very touristic spots.
Don't hesitate if you have more questions !
Eric

The following user would like to thank visentin for this post
MoabPeakBagger

MoabPeakBagger

by MoabPeakBagger » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Thanks for the info. Yes, I've been checking out the rather extensive network of pages. My primary objective is not to bag peaks, but rather to log some miles (or should I say, kms) backpacking, and take in a bunch of scenery.

Yes, the Spanish side is my objective, hence my interest in the GR-11. I'm prepared for logistics/supplies, treating it like any long wilderness hike in the States, rather than a supported trek. That's great news about the refuges, and as I'll have a sleeping pad I don't really care if I get a bunk or not. I will likely "wildcamp" most nights (I like that term) as it's how I prefer to experience the mountains.

I'm hoping for the "best" stretch of the GR-11... it seemed like the stretch from Panticosa to Vielha might be the "best", in terms of scenery and distance from civilization. But I'd love to hear a local's recommendation- if you had ~4-5 days to trek in the Spanish Pyrenees, where would you go? Mostly I'm wanting to avoid bringing any snow gear, as it's cumbersome to tote around on the remainder of my travels when I won't need it. Is the stretch I'm contemplating likely to contain enough snow to necessitate snow gear (crampons/axe)?

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:47 pm

Moab, I think that your date is a bit soon in the season and you'll find much snow. It could be icy in the cols or any other places at shadows, mainly in the morning. So you should bring a pair of crampons with you. The setion (Panticosa) that you have chosen will be largely snowed

The following user would like to thank Diego Sahagún for this post
MoabPeakBagger

MoabPeakBagger

by MoabPeakBagger » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Are there other sections that are likely to be snow free? I chose the Panticosa because it seemed like the most spectacular alpine scenery. However, I am looking for

-great scenery
-remoteness (not hiking through towns or on roads)
-a representative sampling of ecosystems (alpine, forest, etc.)
-relatively snow-free

Are there other sections that might better meet the above criteria?

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:26 pm

It would be better to change the date more than the chosen stretch mate. Can you do it :?:

MoabPeakBagger

by MoabPeakBagger » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:09 am

Ah, no, I'm quite constrained on dates. Family trip to Europe, and I'm slowly adding family, first myself, then wife, then the rest. This is during the "myself" time and I have a week to tour around Spain- I'm going backpacking, for sure.

Anyway perhaps it'd be worth it to pack the axe and pons but there'd be a whole month of slogging that stuff around Spain and France just to maybe use it on some snow for a day or two.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:30 am

Then I'd choose the section with the less high cols. Anyway it would be good to read the opinion of Eric (visentin), Rafa or Enrique (eza)...

visentin

by visentin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:24 pm

MoabPeakBagger wrote:Thanks for the info. Yes, I've been checking out the rather extensive network of pages. My primary objective is not to bag peaks, but rather to log some miles (or should I say, kms) backpacking, and take in a bunch of scenery.

Yes, the Spanish side is my objective, hence my interest in the GR-11. I'm prepared for logistics/supplies, treating it like any long wilderness hike in the States, rather than a supported trek. That's great news about the refuges, and as I'll have a sleeping pad I don't really care if I get a bunk or not. I will likely "wildcamp" most nights (I like that term) as it's how I prefer to experience the mountains.

I'm hoping for the "best" stretch of the GR-11... it seemed like the stretch from Panticosa to Vielha might be the "best", in terms of scenery and distance from civilization. But I'd love to hear a local's recommendation- if you had ~4-5 days to trek in the Spanish Pyrenees, where would you go? Mostly I'm wanting to avoid bringing any snow gear, as it's cumbersome to tote around on the remainder of my travels when I won't need it. Is the stretch I'm contemplating likely to contain enough snow to necessitate snow gear (crampons/axe)?

Hi Moab !

True, early June is kind of early as Diego says. But you can always judge on the terrain and take a route more south if you find too much snow. The southern side is usually very much poorer in snow than the north and the top ridge. You'll get a bunch of scenery whatever how far from the main ridge is the route you take parallel to it.
Spanish Pyrenees are ranges, subranges and subsubranges until you reach the Ebre river :) Not all path will be marked and you will perhaps need to study or review more your route, but on the other hand the lowest, the most villages and facilities you will cross.
You may need to cross snowy areas, without needing systematically snow gear. Just perhaps gaiters not too get too wet in it.
You may order the Rando Editions map series 22,23,24 and so on (1/50 000 scale) as they cover a quite wide area of terrain, and go quite south; they provide a good overview and with them you can easily plan alternative routes to the GR11.
Let me know about your project, and get back in touch if you have any other questions !
Eric

MoabPeakBagger

by MoabPeakBagger » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:11 am

Great, thank you for that info. I know it varies tremendously by year, but approximately what elevation should one expect snow in June?

(For example, I know the Sierra Nevada in California quite well. I would estimate that one would expect snow above 9500' (~3000m) or so in early June. This is a very very rough guess, but provides some guidance for parties planning).

Any ball park you may be able to lend me?

I'll purchase those maps post-haste! (eek! upon further inspection they are VERY expensive- about $25 USD, plus shipping from Europe! Perhaps I'll just get #23)

visentin

by visentin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:44 am

Well it depends also how far from the main ridge you are. The Pyrenees like any other big range are an obstacle to air masses, and for the same elevation it tends to be more fresh in the center as less cooling wind comes to melt the snow.
I would say around 2000 you'll find first patches of snow, but it all depends. To get a better idea, I can suggest watching my site (very outdated since long) :
http://h.visentin.free.fr/pyrenees/index.html
Pick the hikes in late May or June that are located in Spain, read the elevation of the peaks, and see how it is on the pictures. Few samples:
http://h.visentin.free.fr/pyrenees/mondoto.html
http://h.visentin.free.fr/pyrenees/turbon.html
http://h.visentin.free.fr/pyrenees/montanesa.html
http://h.visentin.free.fr/pyrenees/anayet.html
http://h.visentin.free.fr/pyrenees/marina.html

visentin

by visentin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:04 pm

p.s: the maps I wrote about :
http://www.editions-sudouest.com/nos-ed ... 50000.html
ball park what du yo mean ?
maps ? just study them online, and buy the real ones once on the place ! if you really wish them in US, try perhaps to look for alternative places where to buy them, for example second hand from someone else in US..
http://www.editions-sudouest.com/nos-ed ... 50000.html

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:02 pm

visentin wrote:
MoabPeakBagger wrote:Thanks for the info. Yes, I've been checking out the rather extensive network of pages. My primary objective is not to bag peaks, but rather to log some miles (or should I say, kms) backpacking, and take in a bunch of scenery.

Hi Moab !

True, early June is kind of early as Diego says. But you can always judge on the terrain and take a route more south if you find too much snow. The southern side is usually very much poorer in snow than the north and the top ridge. You'll get a bunch of scenery whatever how far from the main ridge is the route you take parallel to it.
Spanish Pyrenees are ranges, subranges and subsubranges until you reach the Ebre river :) Not all path will be marked and you will perhaps need to study or review more your route, but on the other hand the lowest, the most villages and facilities you will cross.
You may need to cross snowy areas, without needing systematically snow gear. Just perhaps gaiters not too get too wet in it.
You may order the Rando Editions map series 22,23,24 and so on (1/50 000 scale) as they cover a quite wide area of terrain, and go quite south; they provide a good overview and with them you can easily plan alternative routes to the GR11.
Let me know about your project, and get back in touch if you have any other questions !
Eric

Yep Eric but as you should know the ranges wich are not in The Pyrenees and are located between them and Ebro form Pre-pirineos. I believe that you already knew that...

MoabPeakBagger wrote:Great, thank you for that info. I know it varies tremendously by year, but approximately what elevation should one expect snow in June?

(For example, I know the Sierra Nevada in California quite well. I would estimate that one would expect snow above 9500' (~3000m) or so in early June. This is a very very rough guess, but provides some guidance for parties planning).

Even Circo de Gredos in Sistema Central has big snow patches in early June. I think that continued snow will be above 2200 m those days MoabPeakBagger. Anyway, you should check it just before leaving the US. The near ski resorts' snow reports could be a good info
Last edited by Diego Sahagún on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:08 pm

visentin wrote:

Hi Moab !

Eric

Yep Eric but we use not to tell them Los Pirineos, those ranges would just form Pre-pirineos. I believe that you already know that...

visentin

by visentin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:49 am

Diego Sahagún wrote:Yep Eric but we use not to tell them Los Pirineos, those ranges would just form Pre-pirineos. I believe that you already know that...

For us French, every single hill located between the rivers of Garonne, Aude, Rio Ebro, and East from a vertical line from the Atlantic coast is the Pyrenees, whatever you call the subregion. Impossible to make more simple ;)

Next

Return to Europe