Mammut Extreme Eiger line?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
mtvalley

Mammut Extreme Eiger line?

by mtvalley » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:34 am

Anybody have experiences w/the new Mammut Extreme Eiger line? In particular the Eiswand jacket or Pullover.

Can't find any reviews anywhere.

delmarco

Re: Mammut Extreme Eiger line?

by delmarco » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:53 pm

There is a few Youtube videos on the line and reviews/previews on few couple German/Swedish websites. Also check OutdoorMagic as they tend to always have reviews on Mammut gear and apparel.

radson

by radson » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:57 am

Yeah... I too want to pay a couple thousand bucks to look like a cast member of Star Trek when I am walking up a hill :P

I think Jon Griffiths reviewed one in UKclimbing very recently.

delmarco

by delmarco » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:08 am

Yeah I agree with Radson Mammut Eiger Xtreme line is super expensive considering outdoor gear usually is bought to get used and abused.

I remember years ago I wanted the Logan and Lhotse Jacket and literally paid $700 USD for the Lhotse only to be very disappointed when this unusable heavy bulky jacket came in the mail. The Lhotse was basically a ski lodge show off jacket and not alpine ascent gear.

Since then I've been happy with the $130 Alverstone Jacket that Mammut makes.

As an avid Mammut fanboy even I will admit that some of their high end gear is a load of bull.

You really don't need a $600 jacket and matching $500 pants to climb any mountain on this planet.

That said I was impressed by the amount of research and tech they put into the Felsturm Half-Zip Jacket. Infusing the zippers into the fabric is sure to revolutionize the entire industry in the years to come.

Only Mammut does that.

Denjem

by Denjem » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:36 pm

I have seen it and worn it. (not outdoors) It is the new Gore active shell. The thing is nice and light. The zippers are laminated straight to the fabric. Instead on being sewn to fabric strips and then sewn to the jacket. The thing didn't stay down when reaching up and there was something about the hood I didn't like , but I can't remember exactly what. Some sort of adjustment cord was not present I think. Pretty pricey jacket.

delmarco

by delmarco » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Denjem wrote:I have seen it and worn it. (not outdoors) It is the new Gore active shell. The thing is nice and light. The zippers are laminated straight to the fabric. Instead on being sewn to fabric strips and then sewn to the jacket. The thing didn't stay down when reaching up and there was something about the hood I didn't like , but I can't remember exactly what. Some sort of adjustment cord was not present I think. Pretty pricey jacket.

yeah you mean to say the jacket wasn't articulated so you pretty much are not going to be doing any climbing related sports.

I'm not sure if Mammut no longer does sleeve articulation because I just bought a $250 Advanced Jacket and was very disappointed that the entire jacket rode up when I lifted my arms in the air. Even my $80 1998 Patagonia fleece has articulated sleeves.

If a jacket rides up like this you literally can't do any climbing, paddling or alpine ascent related sports. Most you can do is hike, run and ski in it.

Shame if the Felstrum is not articulated. It would be the most useless but most fancy $370 poncho money can buy!

on the left I'm wearing my $250 Mammut Advanced Softshell and on the right my $200 Patagonia High Loft Down. The Advance rides up and bunches up in the torso so I can't do anything like climbing or paddling whiles wearing it. Which is why I bought it in the first place so I returned it.

Denjem

by Denjem » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:21 pm

It has gusseted pits. That is supposed to be what keeps it from riding up. Perhaps our larger than Euro American shoulders fill out the jackets too much and cause the lift? Hard tellin not knowin.

delmarco

by delmarco » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:08 am

Denjem wrote:It has gusseted pits. That is supposed to be what keeps it from riding up. Perhaps our larger than Euro American shoulders fill out the jackets too much and cause the lift? Hard tellin not knowin.

No I don't think so. This must be a big design flaw if the description says that. I have worn lots of jackets in the outdoor and the Advanced like the jacket you tested rode up as if it was not even gusseted or articulated.

Some jackets are more articulated than others but this had NO articulation whatsoever.

When an 800 fill down puffy jacket has more articulation than a fleece/softshell most likely that says the fleece/softshell has no articulation.

Return to Gear