Middle Teton - SW Couloir - Gear?? Ice Axe?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
williamsanna

Middle Teton - SW Couloir - Gear?? Ice Axe?

by williamsanna » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi! My husband and I are planning to summit the Middle Teton the first weekend in August (2015) and I'm wondering about equipment. This year, do you think crampons, an ice axe or trekking poles will be necessary/recommended?

We do a lot of hiking, but haven't had to worry about the possibility of ice/snowfields at this elevation before.

I've heard you might be able to rent ice axes in Jackson, WY? Does anyone know anything about that? Places or prices?

Thank you!

aglane

Re: Middle Teton - SW Couloir - Gear?? Ice Axe?

by aglane » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:12 am

A post this afternoon on Mt Project from a solo ascent of the Owen-Spaulding on the Grand noted as follows:
just got back to the car after an 8-hour solo mission on the O-S and here is a conditions report for the route:

There is an INSANE amount of snow, graupel and ice on the route right now. No way around it honestly. The crux of the entire route was an ice-choked Owens Chimney which was pretty spicy to solo (although had I been leading there wouldn't have been pro anyways because all of the cracks were lined with ice). There is a reason that all of the guides are bailing on the route right now. Also, in several areas there were deep drifts of graupel which concealed icy slabs underneath. Mandatory crampon terrain for sure. Overall, if you want a pretty full-on alpine experience, then the route is in! However, if you want to climb this as a rock route, then it might be a good idea to wait a week or two. Talked to some rangers who said that the high pressure window that's coming into Jackson this weekend, may help melt it all out. Hope this info helps!

You shouldn't run into quite that sort of challenge, but ....

Consult http://tetonclimbing.blogspot.com/ for route conditions.

And before going out consult the climbing rangers at Jenny Lake up and left from the shops.

Moosely Mountaineering at Dornan's, just east across the Snake from the south park entrance should have whatever you need to rent.
Their co-owned Skinny Skis in downtown Jackson and Teton Mountaineering downtown likewise.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)