Monte Rosa (Castor, Pollux, Dufourspitze)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Gorysko

Monte Rosa (Castor, Pollux, Dufourspitze)

by Gorysko » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:53 pm

Hi all
I need an advice - about listed summits
I want to visit all three summits at the end of august?

So If you can answer on my questions - or just give a hint it will be perfect

1) Is it possible to have camping there , or it just forbidden?
2) What problems I could have visiting this region in that time
3) If camping is forbidden - what hutes are more suitable for stay ?

Thanks in advance!

selinunte01

Re: Monte Rosa (Castor, Pollux, Dufourspitze)

by selinunte01 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:51 am

Hi Gorysko,

as far as I know camping is forbidden within the whole Zermatt township. Wether it is possible on the Italian side of the Monte Rosa group I don´t know.
To summit Castor and Pollux the best overnight stay will be in the Italian mountain huts Rifugio Guide della Val d`Ayas which is accessible from Klein Matterhorn cablecar or from Zermatt - Gandegghütte - Theodulgletscher, alternatively from the Valle d´Ayas on the Italian side. Above the Rifugio Guide della Val d´Ayas there is a bivvy shelter, called Bivacco Rossi e Volante which can be used for Castor and Pollux, too.
On the southeast side of Castor is located Rifugio Quintino Sella which can be reached from Valle dÁyas or from Val Gressoney, both on the Italian side of Monte Rosa.
As to Dufourspitze the best starting point is the new Monte Rosa Hütte which has to be booked via Internet: http://www.section-monte-rosa.ch/de/uns ... osa-huette
For the mountain condition you have to ask in advance (Zermatt or the hut staff) as end of August crevasses might make some routes more difficult.
Cheers, Michael

Return to Europe