Mosquito Flats Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Deb

Mosquito Flats Conditions

by Deb » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:03 pm

With the new dumping of stuff in the Sierra, it's time to get the skis out there. My first trip into the "wilderness" with the Dynafits, so I'm looking forward to introducing them to one of my favorite areas.
Who's been to the Upper Rock Creek area lately, or knows the snow conditions from Mosquito Flats to either Mono or Morgan Pass? Would actually like to skin out to Dade Lake if conditions permit. :D

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

Re: Mosquito Flats Conditions

by Tanngrisnir3 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:43 am

Deb wrote:With the new dumping of stuff in the Sierra, it's time to get the skis out there. My first trip into the "wilderness" with the Dynafits, so I'm looking forward to introducing them to one of my favorite areas.
Who's been to the Upper Rock Creek area lately, or knows the snow conditions from Mosquito Flats to either Mono or Morgan Pass? Would actually like to skin out to Dade Lake if conditions permit. :D

I was there at Rock Creek last weekend, and drove up to the point where the 'snow park' entrance is. If you like snow, you'll not want for it.

no2haven

by no2haven » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:24 am

Check the weather before you head out...its going to be extremely nasty later this weekend and all of next week - 7+ feet of snow - and you definitely do not want to get trapped out there.

Deb

by Deb » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:22 am

no2haven wrote:Check the weather before you head out...its going to be extremely nasty later this weekend and all of next week - 7+ feet of snow - and you definitely do not want to get trapped out there.

Yes, I see but I'll just be out for the day and headed home at sunset. Won't mind some flurry action while I'm skinnin'.
Thanks for the update, Tann!

ridgeline

by ridgeline » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:26 pm

I remember skiing from Toms Place to Mosq Flat because the road was not cleared. When I skiid back to the snow park the road had been cleared from there down so I had to walk all the way to the highway/Toms place. Still a fun day though.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:38 pm

Today, Friday the 15th, is pretty much the last day anyone will be able to get up there for a while. Possibly for the next 14 -16 days if not longer including very high AVY Danger Conditions after the 2 week period of high precip that we are looking at occurring. Shit storms are looking at starting tomorrow.

I believe that you will have to wait a while Deb. A long while probably.

It is going to get very nasty around these neck of the woods for the next month or two.....

EManBevHills

by EManBevHills » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:50 pm

The good news is you will indeed like the Dynafits when you get to use them, Deb!
The weight savings is terrific. They can take a bit of getting used to though.

Since ice can readily get into the boot holes upon release -- making for a suspect interface with the toe piece upon re-entry -- it's probably a good idea to practice getting into them on a steep, safe slope several times before heading out into the BC. It can be quite exhausting coming out of your binding repeatedly, especially while carrying a typical winter pack...

Be safe and enjoy your new rig.

Deb

by Deb » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:41 pm

The Chief wrote:Today, Friday the 15th, is pretty much the last day anyone will be able to get up there for a while. Possibly for the next 14 -16 days if not longer including very high AVY Danger Conditions after the 2 week period of high precip that we are looking at occurring. Shit storms are looking at starting tomorrow.

I believe that you will have to wait a while Deb. A long while probably.

It is going to get very nasty around these neck of the woods for the next month or two.....

?? meaning there is no access, or just seriously not recommended? :cry:

dshoshone

by dshoshone » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:55 pm

Original Message -----
Sent: 01/15/2010 10:30 AM PST
To: CA Management Team - StateWide
Subject: Weather Alert - Next 7 to 10 Days
The following is a clip from NOAA about expected heavy rain events in California over the next week.

Please ensure that your staff with travel or field work plans over this period take the necessary precautions to be working safely.

We all should also ensure that we have elevated awareness of our communication channels to be prepared to respond to potential emergency situations that might arise.

Too many tragic scenes in the news of emergency events for us not to ensure we are well prepared for the unexpected.

JIM

Multiple large and powerful storm systems are expected to slam into CA from the west and northwest over the coming two weeks, all riding this extremely powerful jet stream directly into the state.

Very heavy rainfall and strong to potentially very strong winds will impact the lower elevations beginning late Sunday and continuing through at least the following Sunday. This will be the case for the entire state, from (and south of) the Mexican border all the way up to Oregon.

Between this Sunday and the following Sunday, NOAA predicts statewide rainfall totals in excess of 3-4 inches. That is likely to be a huge underestimate for most areas. Much of NorCal is likely to see 5-10 inches in the lowlands, with 10-20 inches in orographically-favored areas. Most of SoCal will see 3-6 inches at lower elevations; with perhaps triple that amount in favored areas.

In short, the next 2-3 weeks (at least) are likely to be more active across California than any other 2-3 week period in recent memory. The potential exists for a dangerous flood scenario to arise at some point during this interval, especially with the possibility of a heavy rain-on-snow event during late week 2. In some parts of Southern California, a whole season's worth of rain could fall over the course of 5-10 days.

Michael Graupe

by Michael Graupe » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:00 am

I completely agree with the Chief. With the amount of snow in the forecast, I would stay away from any backcountry slopes (even the less steep ones and forested ones) until the fresh snow is well consolidated. Remember the avalanche fatality near Castle Pass in 2004, in terrain which I would normally consider pretty safe? http://tahoenordicsar.com/archive/searc ... 40104.html

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:47 am

Deb wrote:...meaning there is no access, or just seriously not recommended? :cry:

You can access anything up here.

The question is, can you get back down, alive?

Yur call...

Deb

by Deb » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:01 pm

Perfect weather and snow conditions! :D Granted, I only did about 14 miles - forgot about that extra 5 miles in from the SnoPark (ARG!) and it was HOT! I dressed for freezing temps and ended up stopping to strip my top half; bottom half was a heat case. Can't say I had a whole lotta fun since I kept screwing with my gear (skins on, skins off)(binding and boot adjustments), but it was a terrific learning/training experience. Had some difficulty with ice building up under the toe bindings, dropped a ski and ended up "buried" in a snow drift for a minute or two.
Slippin' back to the car took 25% of the time it took to skin, drag, sweat and cuss on the way out. Think I made it to Long Lake.....it all looks the same under snow.
Well worth the sunburn, blisters, sore muscles and the 11 hours I spent in the truck to get there and back. :D

Return to California