Mount Jackson in January

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
atomiccows1

Mount Jackson in January

by atomiccows1 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:14 am

Myself and two friends are considering doing a trip to Glacier NP in January. I've read that Mount Jackson is the "easiest" of the 10ker's in Glacier, but I imagine it is no cake walk either. Does anyone have any experience with this? Are there any other summits you might recommend to us? Is Glacier BC just a bad idea in winter in general?

About us, we're all in decent shape. One is a runner, the other just came back from doing the MD challenge of the Appalachian trail a week ago (40 miles in a day). I'm the weakest of the group this year.
Last year the three of us climbed the Lion's head route of Mt. Washington, NH. It's a non-technical approach with one section of class 3.
We all have snow camping experience, and intend to do a shakedown in December.

Do you think we'll end up like these guys:
http://publications.americanalpineclub.org/articles/13199704600/Fall-on-SnowUnable-to-Self-Arrest-Climbing-Unroped-Inadequate-Boots-and-Crampons-Inexperience-Montana-Glacier-National-Park-Mount-Jackson

or caught in an avi?

I can't find much info about it, or even Glacier in winter in general.
Thanks.

EarMountain

Re: Mount Jackson in January

by EarMountain » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:52 pm

I suggest you contact Don Scharf at Rocky Mountain Outfitters in Kalispell. Don and a partner climbed Jackson in Winter some years ago. RMO has a website and Google will be your friend.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.

atomiccows1

Re: Mount Jackson in January

by atomiccows1 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks. The more I look into it the more I think it seems beyond our skill level. We might end up in the cascades instead.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)