Mount Morrison/Bloody Coulior

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
lilbitmo

Mount Morrison/Bloody Coulior

by lilbitmo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:39 am

Can anyone give me details about the "Truck Trail" that leads to the trail head?

Old Summit post shows this - From the 395, take the Sherwin Creek Road turnout (south) which is just west of the east end of the Mammoth Airport runway. You'll head south to reach the Laurel Creek Trail, a fairly rough (and completely unmaintained) truck trail which will take you up thru the foothills to the base of the climbing.
Do not underestimate the roughness of this trail; if you "just go for it" on some of the dodgy sections you'll either be buying a new oil pan or find that your vehicle now requires 2 qts less oil than it used to take ... Continue up the truck trail approx 3.2 miles which should put you adjacent to the Laurel Creek meadow (nice camping) and at the base of the switchbacks. Park here or continue up if feeling brave. Otherwise, gear up and start from this point. Note that in the spring and winter this area is heavily snowbanked so use caution in the vehicles.

I'm looking to find out if anyone has been up there in the last couple of weeks, what the snow level is down too in that area?

Thanks in advance

Lilbitmo - :)

goldenhopper

Re: Mount Morrison/Bloody Coulior

by goldenhopper » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:37 am

On the chance he will not see your post here, your best bet is to PM The Chief. He should have a good Idea on this.

The following user would like to thank goldenhopper for this post
lilbitmo

Rob

by Rob » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:00 pm

Just so you know, Blood Couloir is on Bloody Mountain, not Mt. Morrison.

I've been up the Laurel Lakes road in my old 2X2 many years ago. Wasn't easy though :wink: Even with 4X4 I don't think you'll be getting very far up anytime soon though. This webcam shows the snow level on the nearby Sherwin Ridge...http://ranchroad.dnsalias.net/

jspeigl

by jspeigl » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:47 pm

I can't give you current conditions. But last year on June 26, I and some friends parked our 2x2 SUVs at about 8000 ft. because we didn't want to continue up the road. Other vehicles were getting farther up, but only to the big switch back at about 9000 ft. After that, the west facing chutes still had snow covering the road. It seems there is more snow this year than last.

Deb

by Deb » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:58 pm

My Xterra didn't have the height (or the balls) to go much further than the telescope, so that's where I slept and just pranced up the road to the base of the couloir. A few BIG trucks made it to the deep switchback, I don't know how! It's been a couple years, so I have no idea what the road looks like now.

lilbitmo

by lilbitmo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:41 am

We made it to just shy of the switchbacks in a jeep and one other 4 X 4 but it was extremely slow going as that road should not be under-estimated. I appreciate the responses and will post a trip report sometime later in the week as I have to work tomorrow then fly to the midwest early Tuesday morning.
Thanks to Chief for the insight to the conditons in that area - 8 of us were able to summit via the right couloir and one opted to go left of the crux, perfect day for a Sierra climb on Sat -thanks again everyone for you help.

Lilbitmo :D

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:12 pm

Anytime!

Glad that I could have been of any assistance and to hear that ya'll had a safe and fun trip.

PS: I'm not ALWAYS as dick. Just to some few out there that truly warrant the full force and wrath of the Chengis blood.

Return to California