Mountain Hardwear ev direct 2

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
tommarchall

Mountain Hardwear ev direct 2

by tommarchall » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:55 pm

Hello,

Is anyone familiar with this tent: Mountain Hardwear EV direct 2
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/ev-direct-2/ ?

It seems like a bare bones version on the ev2. It also seems like it was only produced for a short while as I can't seem to find it on the MH website. I stumbled across one for just under $300CAD. listed price 550usd can be found for about 400.

I'd be curious to hear of anyones experiences with the tent.

thanks in advance,
Tom

connollyck

by connollyck » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:02 am

my buddy has one. we climbed shasta with it last weekend. it was my first time in it. very nice tent--a snap to put together (much easier than my bibler), but there was a slight condensation issue. this could have been dealt with if we brought a small sponge. thats the #1 thing i love about my bibler. zero condensation. ev2 direct is an awesome tent. if youre getting a good deal scoop it up. i wasnt aware it was a lighter version that was only made a short time. i thought it was just their new evolution of the tent

tommarchall

by tommarchall » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:43 am

great thanks! I may be wrong but it seems like it isn't around anymore because i can't find any info on it from MH. Good to know you had no serious issues with it. I'm going to be alone in mine more often than not so i'm hoping that'll help with the condensation. those biblers are sweet but they do not seem to go on sale and i'm most certainly a sale shopper :)

thanks again
t

ARosenthal

by ARosenthal » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:51 pm

Looks like a smaller (and cheaper) version of the EV2. If the performance of this tent can be correlated with that of the EV2 it should pretty much kick ass :wink:

connollyck

by connollyck » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:01 am

dude if you call bd and ask for a discount on a bibler they'll probably do it. they did it for me. economy's down. they probably arent selling a whole lot of $600 tents.

ARosenthal

by ARosenthal » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:41 pm

connollyck wrote:dude if you call bd and ask for a discount on a bibler they'll probably do it. they did it for me. economy's down. they probably arent selling a whole lot of $600 tents.

How big of a discount did you get...?

tommarchall

by tommarchall » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:55 pm

I got it for $300. It seems to be selling most places for around $400 right now, originally listed for 550. I have an older trango 2 thats rock solid, but heavy, i wanted something lighter that i could solo with. Too late for Bibler now, i've gone through my tent budget for the year ;) but thanks for the advice!

Return to Gear