Mounting Skis

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Blair

Mounting Skis

by Blair » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:38 pm

So I have read as much as I can stand (and got down by heart) and seen almost every youtube or vimeo video on how to do it, read all the steps, talked to a guy that does it at sport chalet, and double checked everything I need to know to place the bindings myself.

After spending the 40 bucks days ago, and having the guy himself tell me some 'info' I am withskis that need mounting...

Any last helpful thoughts from the installers of there own chariots-of-pow? I am just wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas I havent heard yet.

I WILL be using a wood based glue, and am thinking about the jib idea to place them, but thats in the air.

Thanks in advance

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:17 pm

What kind of skis? Makes a difference. If you are using them for striding (e.g. BC), you are supposed to locate the balance point, so the tip will hang down slightly for the next stride. But hey, I haven't mounted new bindings for 15 years.

Wow, times have changed; I always used epoxy, mainly because I had foam-core skis or wood laminates with fiberglas. I did take epoxy-glued bindings off many times; just takes a firm hand with the screwdriver. Use tends to losen the screws from the epoxy anyway, and the epoxy mainly makes a tight receptacle for the screws.

Blair

by Blair » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:13 pm

MoapaPk- yes I have heard about the tiping deal, and the skis will be a BC downhill, but regular alpine bindings. Until I get my true AT rig setup this is it.

Many have told me to use the wood glue vs. epoxy for the skis and screws.

I think the jib is basically a fool-proof method to prep the bindings or if youre measurements keep coming up bad. Still unsure about the jib, gotta find some material to make the jib out of too...

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:40 am

Yo B-ditty... For what its worth. I have some extra marine epoxy that I used on my split (if ya go the epoxy route). It supposedly flexes and wont crack. But hey, if the dude said to use wood glue... better do.

I would also make sure you do the balancing mentioned above. Although, once you get some Fritchi's you will need to re-mount anyway.

Wow, I just contradicted myself left and right. I am a snowboarder... I don't know shit about skis!! You know this.

Return to Gear