Mt. Blanc winter

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
shavrka

Mt. Blanc winter

by shavrka » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:15 am

Hi everyone.
about 15 March 2016, I planned with a group of 5 more experienced climbers to climb Mt. Blanc. Does anyone know what kind of weather conditions then prevailing on that mountain and that the climb possible. Do you work lifts and mountain houses in this period. I am grateful for any information.
Hello.

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

Re: Mt. Blanc winter

by Flachlandtiroler » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:56 am

15. of march is in the very beginning of the winter (ski touring) season. Peak time is may to june (!).
As this is quite deep winter time, you'd either plan a longer timeframe in order to find a lucky weather window; or you'd better prepare for a sort of winter expedition 8)

The summer normal routes (gouter, trois-montblancs from aig.du midi, italian route) for sure will be very hazardous due to avalanche risk.
The winter skiing route passes the Grands Mulets hut, with according to its website usually opens end of march.

Aig. du Midi cable car seems to operate whole year round (except November and early December).

shavrka

by shavrka » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:13 pm

Thank you for this information. We have planned from 15 - 30 March to go to the top. So we have 15 days to find a good time or to wait for a good time. The plan is to go from Chamonix cable car to the Aiguille du Midi. Here we tried to find their way to the top. If the snow is deep we'll go during the day to below Mt. Maudit to make a path through the snow and labeled his way and then, on the day of the climb, to go around 1-2 o'clock in the morning and go to the top. Return the same way. If anyone else has any information bićuzyahvalan. Hello.

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:59 am

Mont Maudit is the route also known as les trois montblancs... problem is less breaking path through deep snow but avalanches.
The crux passage below Mont Maudit has 45...50 degrees and the Tacul flanc also is prone to snow- and icefall.

Looked up the summit logs:
- E.g. at gipfelbuch.ch -- 7 entries for trois montblancs with ski in the last threee years, all later than mid of may
- chamonix.com (the OHM) has three loggers starting with may 31st
- skitour.fr 30+ entries, the earliest in the year being from End of april
- camp2camp 10+ entries from june onwards

:roll:

shavrka

by shavrka » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:01 pm

I'm used to going in this direction on the descent from Mt. Blanc and I know what it looks like but during the summer. So I am asking from people who know what it looks like in the winter. Alternative my way through Grand Mullets. So from the Chamonix cable car to the first station and then to the house Grand Mullets and further to the Vallot on top. If the temperature is low at this time then the Avalanche be less. We planned enough time that we can not wait good weather if need be and that we can do quality acclimatization.
greeting

shavrka

by shavrka » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:37 pm

Hey, guys, is it possible that no climbers did not climb Mt. Blanc winter?

Return to Europe