My first mountain venture into Europe

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
dotswfc

My first mountain venture into Europe

by dotswfc » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:34 pm

My first post on here folks, so please be gentle.
A little bachground first. I have been mountain walking and scrambling for the best part of two years and mainly due to financial limitations have been grounded to the UK. However now with 24 summits under my belt I would like to move across the channel or North sea into Europe.
I woul be looking for a stay of approx one week. Hostels/ huts would be fine for accomodation. I just need some pointers or a checklist of ideas of where to go ( I liked the post on easy 3000fters) and of kit I will need, however I would not be looking at ice climbing just mountain walking and scrambling upto level 2.
Also it would probably be stupidity of the first degree to go alone on this. So folks who are interested please pm or respond.
Thanks in advance for your time and input
Rob

gabr1

Re: My first mountain venture into Europe

by gabr1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:13 pm

I would advise the Carnic and Julian alps. You get to jhike in three countries in one day...
:D

no avatar
dotswfc

by dotswfc » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:48 pm

hi sjarelkwint.
Scrambles to date include Snowdon horsehoe, tryfan north and west face, cmd arette on to Ben nevis, east face of Yr garn.

Austria does sound appealing as does Julian alps, should be ok weather in the spring/summer time.

mvs

by mvs » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:57 pm

If the weather is good you can't go wrong with the Ötztal or Stubai Alps in Austria, both offer several 4-10 day walking tours with easy 3000er bagging options. Plentiful huts but the range has broad shoulders and it's easy to be alone the whole day.

Make sure you are a member of an alpine club to get a significant hut discount.

Going alone, what's the problem? I go there alone all the time. Lots of trails. There are enough people in the summer that you won't lie at the bottom of a crevasse or gully for too many hours. :D

no avatar
dotswfc

by dotswfc » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:37 pm

Again thanks for the reply's.
your right all grade ones but i didnt find them too difficult. Only really on the CMD and that was due to the wind.

The stubai alps look amazing. what are they like in the summer months. How is the snow at the summits?
Like the idea as it is close to INsbruck for transport in and out. Im guessig that there are plenty of places tostay and use as a base while you go out on the routes.

visentin

by visentin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Why does it need to be the Alps ?
Pyrenees.. Tatras... Appenines... Dinarics... so many great places ! ;)
I'd also suggest Norway, perhaps even closer but only if you are not only willing to travel south where it's warmer :)

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:43 am

dotswfc wrote:My first post on here folks, so please be gentle ...

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

visentin

by visentin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:13 pm

lcarreau wrote:...

A more rounded one from the same author :D

mvs

by mvs » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:14 pm

dotswfc wrote:...
The stubai alps look amazing. what are they like in the summer months. How is the snow at the summits?
Like the idea as it is close to INsbruck for transport in and out. Im guessig that there are plenty of places tostay and use as a base while you go out on the routes.

Well I don't want to say now. Visentin wants you to come to the Pyrenees! So go there first. :D

But if you *must* know, they are great for hiking in the summer. The "Hochstubai" peaks over 3000 meters have gentle enough glaciers girdling them, and once above those it'll be scrambling on rock.

here is a report from a visit I made in early October. Some glacier walking, then grade IV scrambling on a ridge. This is one of the most technical obligations in the Stubai, outside of the Kalkkogel rock climbing peaks. There are many ridges that are hikes, and would be awesome in summer.

no avatar
dotswfc

by dotswfc » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:38 pm

As always folks thanks for all your responses.
In reply to the question of why does it have to be the Alps.
It doesnt. As long as I can get there fairly easy and it fair on the pocket ( i aint that well off) then its fine for me. The mian goal that I have set myself is to get onto the peak that are 2000 m + and that means getting out of the UK. Dont get me wrong there isnt anything wrogn with teh Uk mountains they can be incredibly challenging and with the LAkes and north Wales only 2 hours away form Manchester where Im based they are often ideal for a quick weekend. I just want to find a place which I can use as a base and for 5-7 day go and explore diferent mountains where i can go, walk, hike and free scrable to the top without needing technical mountain gear and naturally get down i one piece.
I dont have any desires/dellusions about clibing the North face of the eiger or the matterhorn or k2. I just would like to collect a few decent peaks and enjoy myself. Any ideas and suggestions are always welcomeand if you can find a place near a lake so I can have a swim when I get down then that would be even better but I might be pushing it there
Cheers Folks
Rob

visentin

by visentin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:10 am

A lake where to swimm ? The Pyrenees, as MVS confirmed :)
More seriously, I think it all might depend on your flight costs and availabilities.
If it costs you too much time in transport connections to get to the place and if you've got only one week, pick the easiest to reach in order to make the most of it.

Next

Return to Europe