National parks in Europe - help!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Vid Pogachnik
Forum Moderator

by Vid Pogachnik » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:52 am

Lolli, you'd better not give these pages to others, but only give them editors rights. This way a team can work on pages, but the responsibility for high quality is yours - I mean, in the right hands ;)

jck

by jck » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:25 am

Agree with Vid.

Here you,ve got the locations of each National Park in Poland:
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parki_narodowe_w_Polsce and that's the column called "Lokalizacja siedziby"- that's just the nearest town to the NP.
To be strict: the photo you submitted(taken by Tomek) shows the SLovakian Part of Tatras(but that's not the point)

About Czech Republic:
there are five National Parks: you missed National Park od Jizerskie Mountains(Hory) located north of Czech Republic near the town Liberec.
Krkonose NP is located little bit east of Jizerskie near the town Vrchlabi and the most famous city in the park is Spindleruv Mlyn- ski resort.Connected with Karkonoski Park Narodowy in Poland.
Sumava NP located south of Czech Republice. Ceske Budejovice is the nearest bigger town.
Podyji- south of Czech Republic, nearest town: Znojmo, 40 km south-west from Brno.
Ceske Svycarsko is located near the town Decin and connected with Sächsische Schweiz National Park in Germany.

Unfortunately I don't have info about former Soviet Union Country's NPs but I may search some info about them.
I may also fill the "what kind of place" column of Poland and Czech Republic.

Regards
jck

peterbud

by peterbud » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:47 am

I've made some edits for Hungary, especially updating the links. Tha basis was very well laid down though, thanks Lolli!

Maybe the title of the Northeast Europe division shall be changed to Central and East Europe, considering all the countries listed there. The addition of Romania and Ukraine would complete the list then.

Cheers: Peter

Proterra

by Proterra » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:17 am

I will be able to help out a wee bit, but i also have a tectonic summits page that needs a lot of work this summer, so i can probably only work on the Netherlands and Scotland this summer.

Check out the Veluwe page i'm maintaining; it covers both Veluwezoom and Hoge Veluwe nat'l park, which are the highest elevation parks in the Netherlands.

Charles

by Charles » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:06 am

I could do the German ones

peterbud

by peterbud » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:34 pm

Sure it's not easy! :) One of the funny things about Europe is that we divide it differently depending on where we look at it from, so it becomes a relativity problem :) What triggered me think is that I never heard Austria, Hungary, Slovakia or the Czech Rep. being classified as NE Europe. The idea of the name change came because the current NE page covers the whole CE region and almost the whole East region, apart from Belarus, Ukraine, Romania, Moldavia and Russia. Belarus or Moldavian NP-s I do not know much about... Russia - I think - should be treated on a separate page, just because it's such a big territory on its own.

SE could be the countries of the former Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Greece, Albania and Turkey (though Turkey is mostly outside of geographical Europe, such an exeption could be made I guess). Georgia and Armenia could join here as well, theoretically.

SW could be Portugal-Spain-Italy. There are many Spanish and Italian SP members who I guess could easily compile such a page.

France and Switzerland could be added to the current NW (maybe West?) page by Lolli.

These were just loud thoughts, though. Of course the main goal is to gather more and more NP-s in one or the other page :)

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:02 am

Lolli wrote:Everything below Poland goes into a new page?
That'd make the Central & East Europe cover:
Slovakia, the Czech Rep, Ukraine, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Slovenia and Moldova.

peterbud wrote:SE could be the countries of the former Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Greece, Albania and Turkey (though Turkey is mostly outside of geographical Europe, such an exeption could be made I guess). Georgia and Armenia could join here as well, theoretically.

I'd use mountain ranges straddling borders as the guide here, not politics or culture.

Concretely, that means that European Turkey goes with Bulgaria and Greece (Thrakia) while Georgia/Armenia/Azerbaijan and Russian Caucasus go to a new "national parks of the Caucasus" page.

West Ukraine and Moldova belong with Romania-Hungary-Slovakia (or "National Parks of the Carpathian region" if you like), while I'd split off East Ukraine to go with Belarus and Russia. That's politically provocative but what can you do? :)

With this schema, I'd put Austria-Slovenia with Switzerland and (North) Italy -- the Alps and all that. The French can go their own way. 8)

Pretty much unrelated, but it's currently on my mind. Should there be an "Iceland" area page with Brian Jenkins' great travel advice? Or should there be separate areas for the four quarters of the country? There aren't natural divisions by ranges, mountains just pop up everywhere it seems, thanks to the geologic activity.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:41 am

Lolli wrote:well, Iceland is small. I'd guess there are areapages that covers as much ground as the entire Iceland.

Just looked it up -- bigger than Austria but smaller than Austria and Switzerland put together. Those have multiple ranges. :)

jck

by jck » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:07 am

I agree with Lolli. The idea of pages about NP's is not only the mountains so diversyfying them by mountain ranges is not the best option: what would we do with i.e. Latvia in that case?

Belarus definitely to NE Europe. Good idea is to create Central and East Europe with countries mentioned by Lolli. As an owner of NE I my try to cooperate with someone (maybe Peter?) and try to create the Central and East Europe page.
Lolli, what do you think?

Also agree with the idea of writing only about european parts of Turkey and Russia.

Another problem is, mentioned by Peter, what to do with Georgia and Armenia?

peterbud

by peterbud » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:01 am

What an avalanche! :)

Lolli wrote:The Northeast page will be very large. Maybe put Russia & Belarus into it and make a separate for the Central & East Europe?
Everything below Poland goes into a new page?
That'd make the Central & East Europe cover:
Slovakia, the Czech Rep, Ukraine, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Slovenia and Moldova.

SE page could be everything below the line of Slovenia - Hungary - Romania - Moldovia.
I would only want the European part of Turkey on the European list. The major part of the country is in Middle East. They can do their own pages. Same with Russia. Only east of the Ural mountains.
The South East page would cover:
Croatia, Boznia-Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Greece, Cyprus, and the European part of Turkey.

Sounds very reasonable to me, this is better than my previous proposal. Accepted! :D I think we can take care of the NE and CE pages with jck - be patient though, soon both of us will be "out in the field" for some time. The division by countries is for purely administrative reasons, to help searching by countries as Lolli said. And also because of the non-mountainous NP-s it seems better. (As for range pages, I do miss a Carpathian area page, but that's a large undertaking to head into alone without proper preparation.)

peterbud

by peterbud » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:56 pm

The page about Central and Eastern Europe is ready.
Belarus and "European Russia" are being added to the Northeast Europe page.
Come on guys, complete that Northwest! :wink:

Andino

by Andino » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:05 pm

Great page !

I need partners for Western Europe, to move on... I can already do the French part, but still need support for other latin countries.

Swiss and Germany could be put in Central Europe too... or Western Europe.
Don't know...

peterbud

by peterbud » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:35 pm

Myzantrope wrote:Swiss and Germany could be put in Central Europe too... or Western Europe.
Don't know...

Could be, but the CEE page is rather long already - so I guess putting them to either of the Western pages would be better.

Andino

by Andino » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:38 pm

peterbud wrote:
Myzantrope wrote:Swiss and Germany could be put in Central Europe too... or Western Europe.
Don't know...

Could be, but the CEE page is rather long already - so I guess putting them to either of the Western pages would be better.

Sehr gut !
Anyway it makes sense, geographically speaking.

Ganesh seems interested in covering Italy. I'm still looking for contributors for Spain/Portugal and Germany/Switzerland.
I'll try to upload something tomorrow :wink:

jck

by jck » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:21 pm

Go on Antoine!

Next

Return to Europe