NE Gully of Laurel

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
klk

by klk » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:52 pm

Steve Larson wrote: . . . the NE gully on Laurel is surprisingly clean given the rock formations it's cut from.

Agreed. Part of the charm of that route comes from its placement in those ancient strata-- after a season on the white granite, Laurel can feel like a canyon on Mars. The colors are just amazing. And the rock is far better than anyone familiar with those formations would expect.

I did that thing back in the early '80s and didn't know anyone else who had even bothered. Those sandstone slabs were such a nice surprise. Done it a number of times since: easy access, nice line and ambiance, good conditioner, low commitment. Not something I'd press on an out-of-towner, but sort of a cool, out-in-the-open secret.

I was pretty bummed to see it in Peter's guide, 'cuz it wasn't something I'd ever want to do underneath another party. I can't imagine using a rope on it. Now that it's been ST'ed, I guess the party is over.

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:55 pm

Did this one yesterday. Great fun ! The rock was fascinating. I've never climbed on anything like it.

The friend I went with had been practicing, and it was her first long class 4 climb without rope. We brought climbing shoes and used them on the first 15' section, which seemed to be the crux (5.2 as described by supertopo / Croft ?) but then switched to approach shoes for the rest.

We ended up descending the hanging valley described in Bob's route page. The brush wasn't really that bad, though it might be if you were wearing shorts :) There was a pretty good use trail for much of the way.

Say yes to crack

by Say yes to crack » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Perfect winter conditions

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:01 pm

Great winter shots (also saw them on the taco) 8)

Oh man, I didn't spot the llama hauler :cry: I will have to go back again this weekend :twisted:

Previous

Return to California