Need a good GPS system but not ridiculous price!!

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
emmieuk

Need a good GPS system but not ridiculous price!!

by emmieuk » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:19 am

Hi Guys,

Seeing as maps when unfolded are more or less the same size as me and because I never did get compasses!! and I quit the duke of Edinburgh award (the navigation course) at school because no boys went...sigh....13 year old girls need a slap!!

So...consequently I cannot read maps too well and a GPS system is more me. Can anyone advise me on a decent one which does not cost the earth??

Do they all use those memory maps that you can buy???

xx

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:16 am

I've used GPS systems for years; but I am of the opinion that you shouldn't get a GPS until you know how to read a map and use a compass. An outdoor GPS system is not like one in a car; there aren't lots of roads to route one safely to the top of a mountain.

Different manufacturers use different map formats. Garmin has a "vector"-based format, where contour lines are defined by the strings of x.y points that are the endpoints of line segments. The format is now "cracked" so free maps in Garmin format are available for many places. DeLorme probably has the most flexible format, and provides free maps for many units.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:46 pm

MoapaPk wrote:I've used GPS systems for years; but I am of the opinion that you shouldn't get a GPS until you know how to read a map and use a compass. An outdoor GPS system is not like one in a car; there aren't lots of roads to route one safely to the top of a mountain.

Different manufacturers use different map formats. Garmin has a "vector"-based format, where contour lines are defined by the strings of x.y points that are the endpoints of line segments. The format is now "cracked" so free maps in Garmin format are available for many places. DeLorme probably has the most flexible format, and provides free maps for many units.

I would also add that if map and compass are beyond your ability, then GPS units (other than the turn-by-turn type they put in cars) probably are also. Using a GPS unit on trails is dependent on understanding the spatial relationships of land features same as map reading. Of course, they do eliminate the size problem of some maps.

Moni

by Moni » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:57 pm

Effectively using a map and compass is absolutely a must before using a GPS - they have their issues and problems. Being able to use an altimeter is a good idea, too, in the mountains. Besides, if your battery goes dead or you are in a place where it cannot receive enough satellites, then without map and compass skills, you are screwed. you are also at the mercy of a device - without being able to read and understand coordinate systems and a map, you cannot tell whether where the thing is telling you to go won't land you off a cliff or in a lake.

That aside, I really like my Garmin Vista HC.

emmieuk

by emmieuk » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:02 pm

ok guys thanks....you have convinced me that I better get map reading...its not I cant it is more I have not ever really tried...always relied on the boys to do things like that but if I want to climb alone I better get on a navigation course. Doh!

I hate maps

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:33 pm

emmieuk wrote:ok guys thanks....you have convinced me that I better get map reading...its not I cant it is more I have not ever really tried...always relied on the boys to do things like that but if I want to climb alone I better get on a navigation course. Doh!

I hate maps

I don't think you really need a course to be able to read maps. Go on easy hikes with easy terrain, take a map, and try to read in the map what you see. After some practice you will "see" your terrain just by looking at the map.

I totally agree with everybody else here. A GPS should never replace a map (and compass).

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:21 pm

There are some online ways to help you "get maps." I think there is an app that will superpose contour maps on Google Earth, so you can scan around in 3D and see the relationship between contour lines and topography.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:52 pm

http://www.forgefx.com/casestudies/pren ... o/topo.htm

C'mon SPer wonks -- up the ante with free demos of the relationship between contours and 3D!

A minor quibble with the above video -- inward-pointing hash-marks are not shown.

Moni

by Moni » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:52 pm

Go here - I teach this stuff regularly:

Nav lessons

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:36 pm

To learn topographic maps is easy and fun. You just need to learn what all the little symbols mean. If you can get ahold of a guide that has all of those symbols you'll learn super fast.

Next take your topo to a high spot. Orient it with a compass or the sun or whatever and start locating the things you see on the map. (do this with a patient person who knows how if you can)

Learn about latitude, longitude, degrees, minutes and seconds and then understand the markings that represent these around the edge ot the topo map. At this point you'll be ready for GPS but you won't need one because you'll already know exactly where you are. (unless you hike/climb in the UK where it's foggy all the time)

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:03 pm

Moni wrote:Go here - I teach this stuff regularly:

Nav lessons

Excellent resource! I just clicked on the ppt for "Using maps" -- great examples and great presentation.

Moni

by Moni » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:59 pm

MoapaPk wrote:

Nav lessons

Excellent resource! I just clicked on the ppt for "Using maps" -- great examples and great presentation.

Thanks - I have put a lot of effort and time into them. However, am always grateful for improvement suggestions.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:23 am

MoapaPk wrote:

Nav lessons

I agree, great resource Moni and thanks for posting.

emmieuk

by emmieuk » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:20 pm

if its anything like reading road maps i just fly into a rage haha

phydeux

by phydeux » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Two other options to help with map & compass skills:

Try simple navigation around a local area you're already familiar with. Get a topo map of a hilly area near you that you're familiar with - enough 'hill' so there will be contour lines on the map and areas 'hidden' behind those hills, even if the areas are well known towns/villages/large parks, etc. Then just go out and try to navigate your way from point A to point B using the map and compass and identifying the landforms from theh contours on the map. This'll keep you from getting lost, while developing your map & compass skills.

Is there are orienteering club near you? Its an activity that uses map and compass in races. You have to find your way between checkpoints using teh mp and compass. I used to participate in this 20 years ago and it REALLY improved my map & compass skills.

Like others above mentioned, GPS is not a 'cure-all' answer for poor navigation skills. I'm always coming across GPS-toting folks in the western USA backcountry who have no idea where they are. Its fun to pull out a local topo map and show them where they are and what direction they need to take to get to their destination.

Next

Return to Gear