Neuschwanstein area

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
mountaindan

Recommended hikes

by mountaindan » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:31 pm

Mathias,
Since you are the resident expert for the area, could you please suggest some day hikes in that area? I went down there from Augsburg saturday and would like to go back next weekend for a day hike. Nothing technical since I have very limited gear. I believe there is a trail behind Neuschwanstein that leads to the summit of ?
Thanks for any help

Cody

by Cody » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:22 am

Dan,

I believe you are thinking of Säuling (2047m), behind (above) Neuschwanstein. It can also be hiked from Plach in Austria, if you have access to a car. I'm not sure about the German side, but from Austria, no special gear is needed. There's a few sections with cable/chains once you're above Säulinghaus, but it was all pretty easy and kept me wondering why they bothered to put them in.

Moni

by Moni » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:06 pm

Cody wrote:Dan,
There's a few sections with cable/chains once you're above Säulinghaus, but it was all pretty easy and kept me wondering why they bothered to put them in.

This rock is limestone. When it's wet or icy, even easy stuff can become treacherous.

mountaindan

by mountaindan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:45 pm

Thanks for the info, I think I'll head down this weekend.

Previous

Return to Europe