Never been to CO, (climbing trip help)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Seahorse

Never been to CO, (climbing trip help)

by Seahorse » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Hey there, I'm finally gonna visit, its been a long time coming.

So I arrive in denver this weekend, we'll do a flatiron day and a couple days in eldo. Whats in condition to climb in RMNP? I wanted to do keiner's but there'll probably be too much snow, any other alpine ideas that we could avoid snow with? A nice alpine moderate would be ideal. What other areas are worth going to/climbing?

pyerger

Re: Never been to CO, (climbing trip help)

by pyerger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:02 pm

RMNP. Spearhead 5.6, Pagoda 5.7 (Petit 5.8 N.A. classic) Crestones-NO SNOW! (Ellingwood arete Crestone needle 5.7 N.A. classic) prow on Kit Carson 5.8 R . Crestone Peak to needle traverse 4th class but very airy. You can find details on mountain project (google).

brenta

Re: Never been to CO, (climbing trip help)

by brenta » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:39 pm

Since you were planning to climb Kieners, you are probably bringing axe and crampons for Lambs Slide. If that's the case, you should be able to get to/from the approaches of most rock routes in RMNP. The faces are mostly clean and dry. You may want to add Notchtop and Sharkstooth to the list above. We did Notchtop two weeks ago and, by rappelling, we didn't have to use axe or crampons. I read that there's still (steep) snow at the base of the Sharkstooth. Check out the conditions of the trail to Glacier Gorge. A bridge collapsed, and it's not entirely clear what problem this currently poses in crossing Glacier Creek. (I haven't been there recently.)

For the Flatirons and Eldo, if the current weather continues, get there early and pick routes in the shade!

Return to Colorado