New Boots

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
doc1911

New Boots

by doc1911 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:00 am

I am looing for a new boot. It will be a multi-pupose boot for mixed conditions. I am trying to find a semi automatic crampon compatable boot that is as flexable, light and "foot friendly" as possible....riding the line between a mountian boot and heavy hiker. I have a pair La Sportiva Trango EXT Light GTX that are nice and light but too stiff for long approaches and treks. I have a pair of LS Glaciers that are heavy and bulky.

I am looking at the Salewa Rapace, Garmont Vetta Mnt Plus GTX and the Millet Grepon GTX.

Any thought would be great Thanks

peninsula

Re: New Boots

by peninsula » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:01 pm

I got the boot... just ordered a pair myself. The mountaineering boots I had previously ordered did not work out for me, too stiff, too heavy, and too small a toe box. I went back to the drawing board and came up with these: http://www.backpacker.com/gear-zone-gea ... gear/14470

The reviews I have read are favorable. These boots are relatively light weight but sturdy enough for backpacking in rough terrain, and stiff enough for light crampon work.
Last edited by peninsula on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Luc

Re: New Boots

by Luc » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:04 pm

I love the Garmont, very light, tried to get a pair but no-one carried them around my location. It depends on your foot though they're a bit wider.

I ended getting a pair of Scarpa Charmoz, not as light as the Vetta, but very light nonetheless!

Return to Gear