New home for Kosciuszko- MAIN RANGE page

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
Sonnik

New home for Kosciuszko- MAIN RANGE page

by Sonnik » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:37 am

Hi all
I have recently made a new page for the Main Range, making it possible to add some information which would be out of place on the Kossie page. I plan to provide more detailed pages on individual mountains in the future when I have more time (and info) so have only introduced them briefly at this stage.

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/25 ... range.html

If you have any corrections or suggestions please feel free to tell me. I am fairly useless with computers so any advice would be much appreciated. Also any more pictures which you have might be posted.

Hope you like the page.
Cheers and happy climbing...

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:34 pm

Good idea. Each individual "mountain" is not terribly interesting in itself, but the range does have some interesting little nooks and crannies. We used to visit a spot called Watson's Crags, on the northern side of the range which had some good snowy couloirs in winter and long deep views into the Geehi Valley. We used to go there and pretend to be real mountaineers :D

vancouver islander

by vancouver islander » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:04 am

Echoing d'n'd. Excellent idea; the Main Range really needed it's own page. I've got lots of orphan photos from the circle trip from Charlottes Pass to Blue Lake (which looked dark grey to me) over Carruthers and on to Kossie via Lake Albina. I'll add some of these in due course.

Worth adding Carruthers to the peak list?

One correction. You can buy your park pass at Parks' office just off the highway in Khankoban if coming from the west. No need to wait until you get to Thredbo or make the detour down there from the highway - and battle to find a parking spot.

And an additional bit of info. Almost everywhere in Charlottes Pass closes in summer. However, Tar Gan Gil Lodge stays open through to the end of January if you don't want to camp or drive up from Jinny.

On the subject of Aussie mountains; does anyone agree with me that the Cradle Mountain page could be a lot better. The coordinates are even wrong for crying out loud. I've asked the owner to correct the mistake but he ignores this. If everyone's happy with what's there, that's fine by me. If not I'll petition the elves for a change of ownership - which should probably be a local, or at least an Aussie.

vancouver islander

by vancouver islander » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:17 am

vancouver islander wrote:I've got lots of orphan photos from the circle trip from Charlottes Pass to Blue Lake (which looked dark grey to me) over Carruthers and on to Kossie via Lake Albina. I'll add some of these in due course.

Ignore this. I've just found the Main Range Track page - that's where my orphans belong.

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands