New Speed record on Eiger...again...

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
User Avatar
Norman

 
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:50 pm
Thanked: 31 times in 21 posts

New Speed record on Eiger...again...

by Norman » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:14 pm


The following user would like to thank Norman for this post
clmbr, Cy Kaicener, Diego Sahagún

User Avatar
Cy Kaicener

 
Posts: 4753
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:59 pm
Thanked: 388 times in 346 posts

Re: New Speed record on Eiger...again...

by Cy Kaicener » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:52 pm


The following user would like to thank Cy Kaicener for this post
clmbr, Diego Sahagún

User Avatar
Diego Sahagún

 
Posts: 14449
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2001 6:21 pm
Thanked: 719 times in 660 posts

Re: New Speed record on Eiger...again...

by Diego Sahagún » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:09 am

That's sick, anyday he could bump into something and fall to death...

User Avatar
clmbr

 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:21 am
Thanked: 131 times in 91 posts

Re: New Speed record on Eiger...again...

by clmbr » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:14 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:That's sick, anyday he could bump into something and fall to death...

And that's the only way to become/stay famous nowadays.

He says that also "the athlete has to be willing to take quite a lot of risk" to do it below 2 hours. Is this sarcasm, arrogance or confidence? Just a rhetorical question.

User Avatar
bserk

 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:01 pm
Thanked: 6 times in 6 posts

Re: New Speed record on Eiger...again...

by bserk » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:48 am

clmbr wrote:
Diego Sahagún wrote:That's sick, anyday he could bump into something and fall to death...

And that's the only way to become/stay famous nowadays.

He says that also "the athlete has to be willing to take quite a lot of risk" to do it below 2 hours. Is this sarcasm, arrogance or confidence? Just a rhetorical question.


one could also say: less time spend in a dangerous situation reduces the probability of occurence.

User Avatar
clmbr

 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:21 am
Thanked: 131 times in 91 posts

Re: New Speed record on Eiger...again...

by clmbr » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:13 pm

bserk wrote:
clmbr wrote:
Diego Sahagún wrote:That's sick, anyday he could bump into something and fall to death...

And that's the only way to become/stay famous nowadays.

He says that also "the athlete has to be willing to take quite a lot of risk" to do it below 2 hours. Is this sarcasm, arrogance or confidence? Just a rhetorical question.


one could also say: less time spend in a dangerous situation reduces the probability of occurence.

Except, in this case it means increasing the risk (exponentially or even logarithmically) and consequences of...

However, in finance they say: "The higher the risk, the higher the reward." ...but you need to win to claim the reward. "And that's the only way to become/stay famous nowadays."

User Avatar
bserk

 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:01 pm
Thanked: 6 times in 6 posts

Re: New Speed record on Eiger...again...

by bserk » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:15 pm

clmbr wrote:
bserk wrote:
clmbr wrote:
Diego Sahagún wrote:That's sick, anyday he could bump into something and fall to death...

And that's the only way to become/stay famous nowadays.

He says that also "the athlete has to be willing to take quite a lot of risk" to do it below 2 hours. Is this sarcasm, arrogance or confidence? Just a rhetorical question.


one could also say: less time spend in a dangerous situation reduces the probability of occurence.

Except, in this case it means increasing the risk (exponentially or even logarithmically) and consequences of...

That is only your perception of the risk. The proability of falling is not lower when being roped in. Even if roped in a party of two the chances for a fatal outcome after a fall are very high as one climber very likely will pull the other one with him. Stopping a pull-accident is most likely on not too steep terrain. On this terrain the experienced climber should be capable of donig this himself. Only if you build a very safe anchor (couple good ice screws/pickets, etc.) you increase your safety at a fall/slip/pull-accident. The guys from bergundsteigen magazine did a quite extensive test on safety with regards to rope usage in mountaineering...very interesting read.

User Avatar
clmbr

 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:21 am
Thanked: 131 times in 91 posts

Re: New Speed record on Eiger...again...

by clmbr » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:26 pm

bserk wrote:
clmbr wrote:
bserk wrote:
clmbr wrote:
Diego Sahagún wrote:That's sick, anyday he could bump into something and fall to death...

And that's the only way to become/stay famous nowadays.

He says that also "the athlete has to be willing to take quite a lot of risk" to do it below 2 hours. Is this sarcasm, arrogance or confidence? Just a rhetorical question.


one could also say: less time spend in a dangerous situation reduces the probability of occurence.

Except, in this case it means increasing the risk (exponentially or even logarithmically) and consequences of...

That is only your perception of the risk. The proability of falling is not lower when being roped in. Even if roped in a party of two the chances for a fatal outcome after a fall are very high as one climber very likely will pull the other one with him. Stopping a pull-accident is most likely on not too steep terrain. On this terrain the experienced climber should be capable of donig this himself. Only if you build a very safe anchor (couple good ice screws/pickets, etc.) you increase your safety at a fall/slip/pull-accident. The guys from bergundsteigen magazine did a quite extensive test on safety with regards to rope usage in mountaineering...very interesting read.

I don't have much rope experience. And as you said, "That is only [my] perception of the risk," and this perception does not represent or state other persons' perceptions. It's solely mine and too late to change it. :o

However, we are talking here about solo free climbing, no illusion of security or (perhaps) a second chance, just pure skills and physical and mental strength and fitness. No Rope at all!!!

Each record will be sooner or later broken. For instance, Denali record was not long time ago broken too. Unfortunately, unlike in this case, the previous holder will never be able to reclaim it.

And as Ueli Steck said, a few minutes is not really relevant and comparable because there are too many factors contributing to the final outcome (including luck, whatever it means). But the fact remains he did it again, not just once (and perhaps would do it again and again). There is no doubt in his capabilities. Well, Ueli Steck is the "Swiss Machine". :)


Return to News

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests