New Zealand btw Sept-Oct

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Dimitri

New Zealand btw Sept-Oct

by Dimitri » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:33 am

Hi guys. Italian mountain lover settled in Australia for some months is planning a 2 weeks holiday in New Zealand btw. Sept-Oct. Will I manage to find some partner who wants to enjoy with me that wonderful environment. No fixed plans so far. I'm prepared for proposals and, of course, for info about the best places, mountains which are most worth to be visited there.
Thank in advance
Herbert

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:51 am

Sep/Oct is a bit early for me. I can't make it until at least November. I will be going over this summer though (Mt Earnslaw) Keep in touch though.

What degree of difficulty are you looking for?

birdhead

by birdhead » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:58 am

I might be looking for partners to do the Tongariro Crossing on the North Island in mid-September. On the other hand, if the weather is good and snow conditions are okay, I'll probably go by myself. I'll give an update soon...

no avatar
Dimitri

by Dimitri » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:51 pm

Degree of difficulty in climbing 21-22. But I think that the best activity would be ski mountaineering. 'bout that I don't know degrees. Let's keep in touch if someone happens to be there.

Dan Baker

by Dan Baker » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:08 am

Hi,

It's probably a bit late for you but I'll be in NZ for all of January 2008. Doing a climbing course with alpine guides around Mt Cook area until the 12th and then off to Muller Hut, and probably Mt Earnslaw woth Dad n Dave...

Cheers,
Dan

birdhead

by birdhead » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:43 am

Hi All,
I'll be leaving for my honeymoon trip to New Zealand in two days. I am hoping somebody might have some last minute info on the snow conditions on the Tongariro Crossing. Will I need crampons or snowshoes at this point in the year? If so, can I rent them in the park so I don't have to haul them in my luggage? Any advice is helpful. Thanks!
Danny

Dan Baker

by Dan Baker » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:23 pm

HI Danny,

I don't know much about Tongarirro crossing as I havent been to the north island before lol. From talking with people in the south island I beleive it is just a tramp, so I reckon you might be right without the crampons etc. But don't quote me on that. Best bet is to check with DOC, they are a pretty helpful bunch of guys and girls and will be able to provide you info on conditions etc... their website is http://www.doc.govt.nz/.

Cheers mate,

Dan

birdhead

by birdhead » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:13 am

I called the DOC and they indicated ice axe and crampons would be required due to snow and ice. If anyone has been up there recently and can verify this that would great. Also, if anyone wants to join me, I'll most likely be doing the trek on either Sept 19th or 20th.
Danny

Dan Baker

by Dan Baker » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:36 am

Hi Mate,

The DOC are pretty reliable, so I'd probably be taking an axe and crampons if they recommend it. Bear in mind also then the weather in the NZ alps can be anything any time of year, so it's always good to be prepared :)

Cheers,
Dan

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:15 am

Danny,

Take the crampons and the axe. I have kicked my way up soft corn in the morning only to come to the sudden realisation that as the weather changed and the freezing air level rapidly descended, that corn was fast becoming a sheet of 40 degree ice betwen me and safety. If I had a better hinge in my knee I would kick myself really hard in the arse for being so stupid. I should have known better.

Don't take Kiwi advice lightly. They have a tendency to understatement. If a Kiwi tells you something is "interesting" it means you're in deep shit.

Take care and enjoy.

birdhead

by birdhead » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:30 am

If a Kiwi tells you something is "interesting" it means you're in deep shit.

:lol:

Sounds like I better find a place to rent the axe and crampons when I get to NZ. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Danny

birdhead

by birdhead » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:47 am

Hi All,
I just did the Tongariro Crossing a few days ago in pretty good weather. There was a lot of snow in the craters and I took crampons but did not use them. Didn't feel the need for an ice axe either at this time. The snow was fairly hard with only a few soft sections. Hope this info is helpful. You can also PM me for logistics of getting to and from the crossing. I'll post some pictures soon.
Cheers,
Danny

birdhead

by birdhead » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:46 pm

Yeah, I missed it by three days :shock:

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands