Newbie to Mountains...27 and just decided to fight the fear

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
emmieuk

by emmieuk » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks Dan!

I may end up bugging you in the future for help on Welsh Mountains to climb!

I will check out those courses.

I have done literally nothing before...i only walk because I cant drive put it that way but I do love going on long walks in Wales and in the Lakes but never attempt the climbing parts!!

If there is no one to teach you is it possible to still go on treks? Companies like Mountain Madness over treks to various Mountains and never ask for experience just tell you to get fit! Even for Mont Blanc.
I want to learn properly though and not just be someone who pays for the thrill but has no concept of the bigger picture...ya know...

jvarholak

by jvarholak » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:27 pm

Buy "Freedom of the Hills" and read it cover to cover. It's the go-to book for any aspiring alpinist...... and then train, train, train.
good luck....
john

NW

by NW » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:45 pm

Where I am there really isn't much of anything as far as a mountain would go, for at least a 2-3 hour drive. So I do alot of hiking in the woods, running, biking that sort of thing. As far as rock climbing experience there's a local gym but I like practicing on the real stuff. Then I discovered bouldering. It's a great way, IMO to gain some on the rock experience and it's great at strengthening you too. Pretty much everywhere has some spot to practice on. Sometimes it's a trick to find though. I particularly like the one I found because nobody really goes there, it's not as common usually as rock climbing I guess, at least not where I'm from. Best to have a partner though for safety. I'm sure you could find a spot somewhat near you if you were interested in that sort of experience.

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:49 pm

emmieuk wrote:Thanks Dan!

I may end up bugging you in the future for help on Welsh Mountains to climb!

I will check out those courses.

I have done literally nothing before...i only walk because I cant drive put it that way but I do love going on long walks in Wales and in the Lakes but never attempt the climbing parts!!

If there is no one to teach you is it possible to still go on treks? Companies like Mountain Madness over treks to various Mountains and never ask for experience just tell you to get fit! Even for Mont Blanc.
I want to learn properly though and not just be someone who pays for the thrill but has no concept of the bigger picture...ya know...

No problem, bug away! Always happy to promote my local(ish) hills.

If you go on one of these courses you shouldn't need guides, as they teach you the skills you need to summit by yourself. Just hit the easier routes/mountains first and work from there.

Good luck on Cadair by the way, the weather's not looking too good...

James_W

by James_W » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:58 pm

jvarholak wrote:Buy "Freedom of the Hills" and read it cover to cover. It's the go-to book for any aspiring alpinist...... and then train, train, train.
good luck....
john

The ONLY book to start with.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:39 pm

Welcome. This is an amazing place to start. You can find info on anything and get advice from other people.

Previous

Return to General