It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:01 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Yosemite Climb suggestions

I will be in Yosemite starting August 2 and staying for about a week. I'm going with some occasional hikers who never climb and only one knows how to belay a toprope so I need a few suggestions on topropes in the Valley close to the campsites if possible. I don't know if this exists but if I can find a way to climb there I am going to even if its a short toprope. ...
Read more : Yosemite Climb suggestions | Views : 2428 | Replies : 11

Onion Valley to Whitney Portal June 28-Whenever Conditions?

I was wondering if anyone has been over in this direction this year. Last year I went all over the John Muir Wilderness in June without crampons just fine in the snow, but I know there is a lot more this year. Think it'll be ok? I'm extremely experienced, young, etc...all I'm really curious about is if conditions will be "passable". Creek info would be nice too (I know they are HUGE). Starting date would ...
Read more : Onion Valley to Whitney Portal June 28-Whenever Conditions? | Views : 1980 | Replies : 2

Shasta...

Is there running water at Horse Camp now. I'll be passing through thursday 6/17
Read more : Shasta... | Views : 2362 | Replies : 5

SF running route suggestions?

I'll be in SF for the next couple of days on business, staying in the Union Square area. Anybody have suggestions for 6 - 8 mile running route through the city (bearing in mind I can't travel to a trailhead, but have to start in Union Square? Last time I was there I just ran along the Embarcadero, but I imagine there must be other places, routes? Extra points for scenic views, etc. Thanks!
Read more : SF running route suggestions? | Views : 2703 | Replies : 7

Cathedral Peak / Matthes Crest conditions and advice

Looking to climb Cathedral Peak, Matthes Crest and other Tuolumne peaks this coming week with the spring snow conditions. Anyone have some observations on current conditions? We're planning on snowshoes, etc. for the approach. Are GPS waypoints necessary for the approach? This is our first time in the Tuolumne area.

Thanks in advance.
Read more : Cathedral Peak / Matthes Crest conditions and advice | Views : 6320 | Replies : 23

Lone Pine Peak Beta Please

We plan on doing the Direct South Face route next weekend.

Need to know if there is much snow on the descent? Hoping to go fast and light in a one day push. So if anyone knows what the water conditions are, or if crampons or ice axes are a necessity then let a brother know!

I would rather not bring ice/snow gear if possible.
Read more : Lone Pine Peak Beta Please | Views : 1915 | Replies : 2

Fishhook Arete Mini TR and North Fork Conditions.

Just got back from doing Mount Russell, my first 14er!!!

Conditions were great up to Upper Boyscout lake on the first day in, almost no snow to deal with.

Upper Boyscout Lake

We got to Upper Boyscout at 11am on thursday, and debated going to do the east buttress of Whitney that day, but decided we had two nights at Upper Boyscout, so no need to rush. We sat around and contemplated wasting the ...
Read more : Fishhook Arete Mini TR and North Fork Conditions. | Views : 2552 | Replies : 9

Vintage Sierra Club Bulletins

For any folks out there interested in old Sierra Club Bulletins, there is a whole pile, '20s-'40s, on ebay right now, not mine. Not cheap but not so easy to find any more.

Read more : Vintage Sierra Club Bulletins | Views : 5304 | Replies : 0

HAPE research subjects needed-travel funds available!!

Healthy males ages 18-55, who have a had a history of HAPE (have had HAPE before) are needed for a research study that will be conducted at the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, CA. If you know of anyone who has had HAPE before, and would be interested, please have them contact me. It has been very challenging to find individuals who have had HAPE before. Participants will be asked to participate in 2 ...
Read more : HAPE research subjects needed-travel funds available!! | Views : 710 | Replies : 0

Mineral King

Does anybody know anything about when/if the road to Mineral King is open? The phone recording said it is, but the website says it's only open to Silver City. Any first hand reports on conditions would be appreciated too.
Read more : Mineral King | Views : 1488 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557956 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136427