It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:02 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

whitney MR this weekend

Planning on heading up whitney this weekend with a friend, and had a couple questions.

I feel like I'll get flamed for asking, but, it looks like there may be some snow coming in tomorrow. If it storms for a couple days, then warms up, are we looking at considerable avy hazard over the weekend? We'd of course check the east side avy forecast before going, but wanted to hear some experienced opinions. My googling/reading ...
Read more : whitney MR this weekend | Views : 1500 | Replies : 4

Will pay $100 for you to hump food up Taboose Pass

I'm looking for someone to resupply myself and my partner while we hike around in the high country for a few weeks this summer. Specifically, I'm looking to have someone carry in a week's worth of food for us, meeting us at the top of Taboose Pass on August 16 or 17.

I know, carrying 21 lbs up Taboose Pass for $100 doesn't seem like the best deal on earth. But for Sierra bums who ...
Read more : Will pay $100 for you to hump food up Taboose Pass | Views : 6529 | Replies : 27

George Creek Conditions????

If anyone goes up George Creek in the eastern Sierra before April 28th, please report back on conditions. Thanks in advance.

Kathy
Read more : George Creek Conditions???? | Views : 1899 | Replies : 4

Great day to summit Iron Mountain

Hi all,

New participant here, found the site recently when looking up info about East Fork to Iron Mountain. Had a great day on the trail, started around 7 am and summited at 11:30. Only passed 2 hikers on the way up, and a few going down and I left one very ticked off rattlesnake about 4 miles up. Got back to the car by 2:30, a bit quicker than I expected, I was feeling ...
Read more : Great day to summit Iron Mountain | Views : 1148 | Replies : 4

East Fork of the San Gabriel River- Missing/Late

Has anyone been up the East Fork of the San Gabriel River today? My son started yesterday (an over-nighter) from Vincent Gap to the East Fork ranger station. I expected to hear from him by now (Sunday, 5:00 pm), and my dad-anxiety is kicking in. He's about 5-11, thin build, and has curly red hair. His backpack is dark green and black. He's with a friend. If you've been up there and seen him, I'd ...
Read more : East Fork of the San Gabriel River- Missing/Late | Views : 2164 | Replies : 3

Guide for El Cap?

Can anyone reference me to a guide to climb El Cap with? I have been on walls up to grade V before and can lead 5.12 sport / 5.10 trad. I know there is YMS, but I am not interested in them. Thanks.
Read more : Guide for El Cap? | Views : 13501 | Replies : 23

Onion Valley Road Conditions?

Anyone know if Onion Valley Road is open to the trail head? White Mountain ranger station says yes, Permit Office in Lone Pine says you can get to within 2 miles.

Is the gate still locked on Horseshoe Meadows Road???

Any info?

Thanks
Read more : Onion Valley Road Conditions? | Views : 4442 | Replies : 7

Is there an established Langley - Corcoran Traverse?

I'm heading to Mt. Langley (by the standard Cottonwood Lakes approach) late this summer, and was looking at other peaks to climb from Langley. I've found a lot written about various traverses between the peaks North of Mt. Langley (Corcoran, LeConte, Mallory, Irvine) but not much about getting between the summits of Langley and Corcoran.

Does anyone have any experience with that traverse? It occurs to me that maybe there's not much written because the ...
Read more : Is there an established Langley - Corcoran Traverse? | Views : 853 | Replies : 1

Question about the land near the Onion Valley trailhead

This is a quick follow-up to my Williamson question. I'm thinking of parking at either Onion Valley or Symmes Creek (Shepherd's Pass) trailhead, and then making a loop hike of it. Does anyone have any info on what it would be like to walk the mile or so that connects those two roads? I've been to the area once, and i remember it being basically grassland, but i have no idea if it's private land, ...
Read more : Question about the land near the Onion Valley trailhead | Views : 3772 | Replies : 10

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557961 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136430