It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:33 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Onion Valley Road Conditions

Any of you skiiers been up near Onion Valley yet?? I know the road hasn't been plowed yet. (as of Friday 4/2 at least)
Anybody know how close you can get to the campground, (how high and/or the distance in)
Hope to go up next weekend if we can get close enough.

Thanks
Read more : Onion Valley Road Conditions | Views : 2393 | Replies : 2

What a ride! 6.9 in Baja...

Yikes! Here in Woodland Hills, was rolling for about 90 seconds. I knew it was big and far away (lots of experience with these things). Hope the folks in Baja are OK... :O
Read more : What a ride! 6.9 in Baja... | Views : 1596 | Replies : 3

Mt. Shasta, April 9-11

I've signed up for a guided trip up the Casaval Ridge route on April 9-11. The current forecast says 3 to 4 feet of snow within the next 48 hours, and a chance of snow on April 9 and April 10.

With the current snow conditions, what are the chances of a summit attempt on April 10? I might have the option (for a $75 transfer fee) of trying the same route on April 23-25 ...
Read more : Mt. Shasta, April 9-11 | Views : 1133 | Replies : 1

Finally in California/Lone Pine Peak

Just arrived in Lone Pine last week randomly on our nomadic excursion.

Now I know the centerpiece is Whitney, but Lone Pine Peak looks much more interesting and fun.

Now, just how difficult is the east face of this thing? It keeps intriguing me.
Read more : Finally in California/Lone Pine Peak | Views : 1163 | Replies : 1

Sierra Trip Recommendations in May

Asking the Sierra veterans of SP for some advice...

I'll be in SoCal in late May for business and will give 4 or 5 days of vacation to the mountains. I am somewhat familiar with the Sierra, but need some help figuring where to go, given the late storms and snowpack.

I have some options... (1) Just go to J-Tree, Tahquitz, Owens River Gorge, etc and work on my pathetic rock skills; (2) Pack my ...
Read more : Sierra Trip Recommendations in May | Views : 1227 | Replies : 11

Whitney access in Mid-April

I'm hoping to attempt the Mountaineer's Route in about 10 days.

Anyone care to guess how close to the Portal a 2WD car will be able to get?

Thanks.
Read more : Whitney access in Mid-April | Views : 1757 | Replies : 4

Backpacking Recommendations...

So a couple of buddies and I try and get together every year or so and do some backpacking. Basically, we're looking at something within this criteria:

1. 3 to 7 days
2. 20 to 70 TOTAL miles
3. Peaks along the way NOT required, but it would be cool if there were some...
4. NOT limited to California
5. Summer hiking - July or August
6. Fishing along the way would be cool, too ...
Read more : Backpacking Recommendations... | Views : 2683 | Replies : 11

Spitler Peak area conditions

Has anyone been up in the Spitler Peak / Apache Peak area lately? I'm heading up there on Saturday and am curious about current snow conditions.
Read more : Spitler Peak area conditions | Views : 826 | Replies : 2

Backcounty Ski Options near Huntington Lake

Looking for some ideas near Huntington Lake off HWY 168

Leaving tomorrow...

Thanks
Read more : Backcounty Ski Options near Huntington Lake | Views : 1603 | Replies : 1

Backpack/bouldering recommendation for weekend?

Hey folks, in early May, wanted to get a recommendation for a backpacking trip and ideally be able to do some bouldering, as well. We're in the Bay Area and need to pretty much confine the trip to the weekend with maybe a mid-day Friday start. Given those contraints, what is drivable/worthwhile, especially given that early May is probably a bit too early for higher parts of the Sierra.

Will also be lugging a crash ...
Read more : Backpack/bouldering recommendation for weekend? | Views : 1902 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557961 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136430