It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 4:18 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

5 day June backpack suggestions

Would like to do a 5 day hike, 2 dads with two 13yo. The boys have been backpacking since age 8 and we are all going this weekend to Mt Rogers (forecast highs 20's, lows 10's, wind and snow). Would like to do something in mid June that is not impassable by snow, bone dry or overrun with bugs or heat. I'm aware conditions always change year to year.

Any ideas for California or will ...
Read more : 5 day June backpack suggestions | Views : 923 | Replies : 0

Hidden Gems of Joshua Tree Presentation

Todd Smith will be presenting Hidden Gems of Joshua Tree. Here’s the link to the article he wrote for Climbing Magazine
http://www.climbing.com/travel/jtree_gems/index2.html
I believe this is the current schedule, but double-check your local REI for details. Its Free

Huntington Beach 2/9/2010 7pm. http://www.rei.com/event/914/session/1096
Arcadia 2/11/2010 7pm
Manhattan Beach2/10/2010 7pm
Read more : Hidden Gems of Joshua Tree Presentation | Views : 1853 | Replies : 1

Big Trees?

I'm going to be in Glendale CA very briefly this month. I'll have one entire day to go somewhere and do a little casual hiking. Where are the nearest Redwood/Sequoia groves to the Burbank/Glendale area? All help much appreciated. They don't have to be in a National Park. I'd just like to see some impressive groves. National Forest land, state park land, etc. I likely won't have access to a high clearance four-wheel drive vehicle, ...
Read more : Big Trees? | Views : 14226 | Replies : 25

MT.Shasta Winter Climb

I am looking to climb Shasta the end of March beginning of April and was looking at the Casaval route. We are going to allow for more then one day but i am trying to get some tips on route conditions during this time, or any suggestions to a backup route if this would not be the most appropriate one for this time of the season. I/We have had successful summits of Rainier,Hood and Marcy
Read more : MT.Shasta Winter Climb | Views : 7938 | Replies : 8

San Diego? Me?

Looks like I might be forced to take a week long trip to San Diego in March sometime.

8)

You'd think they would sooner or later figure out that I'm one of the old dogs, and they should be sending the young guys on these excursions.

So anyway, I've never been there, what's to do, what's to see? Yeah ok, I know, that's a REAL open-ended question, ...
Read more : San Diego? Me? | Views : 4522 | Replies : 17

Day hike options east side right now?

Originally planning on doing Thor Peak Feb 14th but with the road/snow conditions as they are, it might be too long for a day hike.

I'm looking for some alternatives. Preferably a peak but a nice snowshoe would probably work as well. Maybe something out of the Lake Sabrina area since the road is plowed till 9k?

Any ideas? Thanks!!
Read more : Day hike options east side right now? | Views : 1992 | Replies : 5

Nor-cal, beer with SP'ers - Feb 12 8pm

I'm up in Chico...Sierra Nevada is here in town...although I am a newbie who has not met some of you...but hey...that's what it's for ya? Bout an hour for you to get here? Dunno if that's too much. I know there's some others up in Shasta/Redding area, so I'm sorta in the middle :D

Edit: 12th actually I may be heading south to climb! It looks ...
Read more : Nor-cal, beer with SP'ers - Feb 12 8pm | Views : 5343 | Replies : 16

mellow snowshoe trip on the north West Side?

perhaps in the Carson Pass area?
my criteria are:

-2 nights
-good snow
-no snowmobiles
-not Tahoe (too many damn people)
-relatively low avy risk
-suitable for bringing a sometimes tempermental wife along

any suggestions?
Read more : mellow snowshoe trip on the north West Side? | Views : 1370 | Replies : 2

Whitney Lottery / Mt. Russel

I submitted lottery applications for 2 years in a row now, and both years I did not get a reservation. I listed over 30 date options each time (admittedly, most of those dates were on the weekends).

I would like to reserve a permit this year, so I am looking for some guidance from people who have had success in the lottery. What are the least-requested entry dates, generally? I know that mid-week dates are ...
Read more : Whitney Lottery / Mt. Russel | Views : 3162 | Replies : 9

Skiing San Jacinto in March

Would that be possible in late March? I was thinking of taking the Aerial Tram up, hiking to the summit and riding back down to the tram. Is that realistic?

If not, are there any similar trips that would be possible?
Read more : Skiing San Jacinto in March | Views : 943 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558010 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136547