It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 6:44 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Anyone do Baldy over the weekend?

Wondering what the conditions are like up there these days...

Thanks.
Read more : Anyone do Baldy over the weekend? | Views : 6768 | Replies : 26

where to go?

i'm thinking about making a day snowshoeing trip on sunday, possibly driving out saturday night. i live in the east bay area and wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions as i've done all of my snowshoeing much further up north. i'd be willing to drive 4 hours tops.
Read more : where to go? | Views : 1361 | Replies : 8

New for Half Dome this year

Yosemite News Release
January 29, 2010
For Immediate Release

Media Contacts:
Scott Gediman 209-372-0248
Kari Cobb 209-372-0529

Yosemite National Park Announces Interim Program for
Half Dome Day Use Permits to Address Visitor Safety
Program to begin May 2010

Hiking to the top of Half Dome is one of the most popular hikes in Yosemite National Park. The iconic granite monolith, at 8,842 feet above sea level, attracts people from all over the world who attempt ...
Read more : New for Half Dome this year | Views : 16449 | Replies : 55

Picture(s) Needed

Look for a picture looking from Helen up towards Casaval Ridge as well as one looking up to Sargents as well. Thanks, Scott
Read more : Picture(s) Needed | Views : 2311 | Replies : 7

looking for a practice ski slope in SoCal

I'm a beginner skier and looking for a place to practice telemark turns. More specifically, a very gentle slope with a nice runout, preferrably in SG (but SB or SJ is okay), where I don't have to worry about mowing anyone down on weekends. Since I use waxless Nordic skis, and need workout anyways, I can ski up (say upto 300 feet in elev at a time) and yo-yo all day long.

I checked out ...
Read more : looking for a practice ski slope in SoCal | Views : 1669 | Replies : 5

Hiking program for urban youth: your thoughts

What does the SummitPost California Brain Trust think of this proposal regarding a mountaineering program for urban youth? I have bleeped out the name of the youth group, my hiking group, the city and any personal names.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

The following is a proposal for a program of overnight and other hikes for children associated with **** **** in the local mountains of Southern California.

Catalyst

I have been a "hike organizer" ...
Read more : Hiking program for urban youth: your thoughts | Views : 3524 | Replies : 10

Ice skating in the High Sierra / Yosemite area?

Are there any ponds in the high country which are a.) not highly remote, and b.) are sufficiently windswept in the wintertime, so that they offer a smooth, clear, ice skating surface? My family said that if I can find a good place, it might be just the thing to convince them that we should consider an Eastern Sierra vacation. The kids are young, however, so we wouldn't be hiking more than an hour or ...
Read more : Ice skating in the High Sierra / Yosemite area? | Views : 3465 | Replies : 2

Cartridge Creek

Has anyone been up (or down) the old Cartridge Creek trail in the past couple of years. I was up and over Cartridge Pass from Muro Blanco about 20 years ago and the trail was pretty decent at that time. I've never been down Cartridge Creek to the Middle Fork though. Secor paints a grim picture of the trail condition, anybody been there recently?
Read more : Cartridge Creek | Views : 3764 | Replies : 6

Morrison - Baldwin Traverse / Mammoth Area

Has anybody done this traverse, going over White Fang, or either part of it? From what I gather it is nebulous class 4 and shitty rock. What I'm wondering, is it tedious and boring, or, scary life-endangering stuff, or some combination? I'm already pretty sure no one's going to call it classic, so no need to redirect me to the finer routes in the area. Thanks in advance.
Read more : Morrison - Baldwin Traverse / Mammoth Area | Views : 2094 | Replies : 3

Where to live in coastal Southern California?

I'm living in Boulder, Colorado currently and loving it. But 2011 may find me back in California and this time in the south. Where are the good towns in southern coastal California? I come from Santa Cruz, so a community with the arts and not too much of the plastic, strip mall type environment would be ideal and relatively easy access to climbing is imperative. Does this even exist? What about Encinitis? Any ideas would ...
Read more : Where to live in coastal Southern California? | Views : 17303 | Replies : 72

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558015 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136577