It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 12:12 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

California Road Trip guidebook

just got mine - thumbs up. Looks like money well spent.

http://maximuspress.com/shop/proddetail.php?prod=CRTN
Read more : California Road Trip guidebook | Views : 1166 | Replies : 1

V Notch Conditions

As of September 17, there is a snow bridge over the left side of the bergshrund. The couloir itself is fat with neve and two water ice patches, each of which is about a pitch long. Despite warm temperatures and a relatively late start at 8:30, we had only one naturally released rock whiz by, and the rope only dislodged one other.

I'm not sure if there's a bridge over the U Notch shrund, but ...
Read more : V Notch Conditions | Views : 2329 | Replies : 1

North Pal / U-Notch

Anyone been up there recently to take a look?
Read more : North Pal / U-Notch | Views : 1817 | Replies : 1

North Pal-Northeast Buttress

I'm looking for information on this route. Secor(The High Sierra) describes this route between the U-notch and The Doors of Perception, as 5.6. It climbs,"...the obscure, obtuse open book above and right of the bergschrund of the U-Notch Coulior."
Secor also mentions the rock as being light gray.

Has anyone done this? How easy is it to find? What is the quality of the rock? Anything else you want to pass along?

Thanks! ...
Read more : North Pal-Northeast Buttress | Views : 3490 | Replies : 10

Climbing Mt. Whitney in the winter

I was looking for any tips or info on climbing Whitney in the winter. I would like to know which month to climb, Dec-Jan, and what the avalanche risks are at this time. I understand that the Mountaineers Route is the best way I was just wondering how technical the route is? Finally, I hear the temps are -20 F, just want to confirm that fact. Any other helpful info is welcomed.

Thanks for your ...
Read more : Climbing Mt. Whitney in the winter | Views : 25421 | Replies : 16

Shortcut to base of Humphreys?

There's a big talus-filled chute immediately north of Piute Lake. Has anyone used this as a shortcut to the base of Humphreys? Is it any worse than going all the way to Piute Pass?
Read more : Shortcut to base of Humphreys? | Views : 2480 | Replies : 4

Sierra NOOB

Hey just moved to SF, looking to get in a good backpacking trip in the next month or two before it gets too snowy...

-Looking to leave on a thursday night
-return sunday/monday night
-sierra
-rad camping
-nothing more than class 3
-driving to lee vining is fine, just did it and it wasn't too bad

maybe something like car camp friday night, sat am pack in 6 miles and set up camp, do a ...
Read more : Sierra NOOB | Views : 8550 | Replies : 31

Easy Yosemite Valley topropes

I know, the choices are limited, but I'm taking a couple friends to the Valley this weekend and am trying to think of the best places to take them. This will be about their third time climbing outside and I suspect 5.8 will be about their limit with 5.6 still plenty challenging. So I'm looking for some easy stuff just to get them on the rock. Got any favorites? One of my buddies is a ...
Read more : Easy Yosemite Valley topropes | Views : 3132 | Replies : 5

Ritter SE glacier conditions?

Anyone been up there recently? I will be attempting Ritter this Sunday in a dayhike. I'll be bringing crampons/axe, does anyone know if opting for glacier travel will add or subtract time on this route?
Read more : Ritter SE glacier conditions? | Views : 2356 | Replies : 7

Porter-Sentinel Loop (Panamints) via Happy Canyon?

First, I realize that one can drive to 2000' only before hitting the gate.

I'm considering parking at 2000' for a loop over Porter and Sentinel. Has anybody here tried or scouted out this route? It seems that there are several options for descent/ascent; one could cache water at 5400' in the canyon for a common departure/return point.

How's the road up to 2000'?
Read more : Porter-Sentinel Loop (Panamints) via Happy Canyon? | Views : 1599 | Replies : 6

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558019 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136584