It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 6:02 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Dispersed Campsites in El Dorado National Forest in CA

Are there any dispersed campsites near Packsaddle Pass forest road near highway 50 in California? The forest road is south of highway 50. The forest road is near Cody Lake. I thought I may have saw some areas on Google Earth where you can turn out to camp. Could someone correct me if I am right or not? I may have saw a few more possible campsites near Cody Meadow forest road also. Packsaddle Pass ...
Read more : Dispersed Campsites in El Dorado National Forest in CA | Views : 14336 | Replies : 4

Muro Blanco in SEKI.. Arrow Peak area...Info needed Please?

Have any of you here hiked the Muro Blanco in SEKI which follows the South fork of the Kings river to Woods Creek?
It has been on my to do places for many years..so have been researching all I can...But was curious to see if anyone here has actually done it or part of it.
Any info would be appreciated :)
Thanks everyone!
Read more : Muro Blanco in SEKI.. Arrow Peak area...Info needed Please? | Views : 5921 | Replies : 13

Skeeters in the Sierra 2009*

It's about that time. With the recent heat, and possible cold coming through, how are the skeeter populations shaping up around the Eastern side so far this season?

Any horrible areas yet? I was thinking of taking the kids up to the Stone House in the Tuttle drainage for a day hike/picnic next weekend, but don't want to be slathered in DEET (kinda ruins the taste of food)
Read more : Skeeters in the Sierra 2009* | Views : 34853 | Replies : 161

Tahquitz Rockfall (4/13/08)

Yesterday afternoon my friends and I witnessed a serious rockfall incident at Tahquitz. Two microwave sized blocks and some smaller debris came down from somewhere high above, at or near the top of the face, falling through the area where the route “Fingertrip” ascends. We were on the ground at the toe of the rock just to the right from there and watched as these huge blocks took a lucky bounce sending them just over ...
Read more : Tahquitz Rockfall (4/13/08) | Views : 6451 | Replies : 23

Poole Power Plant Road Plowed?

Does anyone know if this road to Lee Vining Canyon was plowed yet?
Is there a way to find out?
Read more : Poole Power Plant Road Plowed? | Views : 3007 | Replies : 8

High Sierra Peak damaged by fire plane drop

A bright red stripe from fire retardent is visible for miles on Feather Peak near Florence Lake. :(
http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?a ... E-12-20-07
Read more : High Sierra Peak damaged by fire plane drop | Views : 19074 | Replies : 78

SP CA gathering?

I see our CO friends always do a yearly winter gathering. Wonder if there is something similar for Cali?

If no, would there be any interest in it? Suggestions? Comments? Could be fun...
Read more : SP CA gathering? | Views : 12991 | Replies : 86

Rhyang

Hello all,

It is with great sadness that I have to report that Rob ("Rhyang") was in a very bad car accident last Thursday night while driving to go climbing. We visited him today (Saturday) at the hospital and he is pretty banged up but is in stable condition. I know Rob has many friends and acquaintances here at SummitPost and he wanted me to explain his absence. (I believe he also had arranged to ...
Read more : Rhyang | Views : 109794 | Replies : 551

Mount Muir's East Buttress

Been looking at the summit log of Mt. Muir (for those that have done the East Buttress) and seeing mixed reviews. One person described it as "aweful", Misha makes a neutral comment (mostly beta info), and one person said it was great. Secor (who I only use as a basic reference but never beleive half of what he mentions! :P) seems to make it out as a ...
Read more : Mount Muir's East Buttress | Views : 2734 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136499